What's Your Favorite Hybrid Tomato To Grow?

I was just wondering what your favorite hybrid tomato is that you grow??? Here in central PA, Jet Star does very well for me. For some strange reason, I never had much luck growing Early Girl. The yield is quite low. Better Boy also does very well for me. This season I will be giving two others a try also. They are, Big Beef and also Superfantastic. My yellow tomato will be Lemon Boy which I have never grown before either. Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with these new varieties I will be trying this season?

Rich from PA zone 5-6

Reply to
EVP MAN

Better Boy. I keep trying different varieties and coming back to this one. Good combination of high yield and great flavor. It wish if bore a little earlier and had better late-season disease resistance, but you can't have everything.

This year I'm going to try Better Boy seeds (open-pollinated) that I saved last year. I'm planting them (and tomatillos) today.

-Bob, zone 4

Reply to
zxcvbob

Royesta FFNT Just a super tomato, attractive to the eye and very fine flavor.

Early Girl has an above average chance of BER, in my experience.

Lemon Boy: Bland, watery (too much seed, not enough flesh)--that's my experience. But it does make a very pretty addition to a display of garden produce.

I'll stick to my favorite heirlooms for large yellow/orange tomatoes. It's a toss up between Aunt Gertie's Gold (less orange) or Persimmon (more orange). Both have very small seed cavities and make amazing sandwich slices.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I have been very pleased with Big Beef. Vigorous plant, productive, good sized fruit, very tasty, no problems. If I could have only one tomato plant this would be it. -- H (Chicago area)

Reply to
Heathcliff

Been reading a lot of very good reviews on Big Beef tomatoes. Some say it's the best tomato developed yet for the home gardener. I have high expectations for this tomato but only time will tell. Many times a tomato that does well in one area or a certain type of soil, just don't do as well for others. Other people say Better Boy is hard to beat as a mid season cropper. I started all my seeds indoors just this week and will be using grow lights. They will be set in my garden around May 15. This year I will be growing my seedlings in the basement of my home which is cooler than the rest of the house. I will also have a small fan blowing over them. Hopefully this will produce stocky and healthy plants :)

Rich from PA

Reply to
EVP MAN