Ground moles

Ground moles are invading my yard, heading for the garden. Any sure fire ways to get rid of them? I can get some sort of worm that has poison in it from the pest control place but they are very expensive. I know chewing gum, peanut butter, etc. does not work. Any ideas or suggestions? I live in Toledo, Oh, whatever zone that is. thanx

Reply to
Jimmy

A cat will keep them down but not eliminate them. My cat catches a rodent a day during the summer, a mix of moles, mice and chipmunks. It would be nice if I could tell him to concentrate on moles, but he has his own agenda.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Ground Mole' makes a great sauce for poultry. ;-)

Seriously, do a google for Mole traps, or quit poisoning and import some gopher snakes or a tiger tabby queen or gray colored female cat. Even spayed, she will more than solve your problem.

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Your cat is a slacker. ;-)

Our gray tabby female used to catch 2 to 3 per day of moles, gophers, ground squirrels and rabbits.

She was death on garden pests.......

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Never heard of a gopher snake. I would rather do that than use poison things. Do they they go after the moles and where are they from? Imported from where? Don't want anything that will act like the Asian Carp.

Reply to
Jimmy

Tesla is also watching my blueberries for me, he did a pretty good job of keeping the birds away last year. It's like having my own surface to air missile site.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Moles or voles?

If they're moles, they won't eat your plants, but they might disrupt the roots with their burrowing. They're after grubs, so getting rid of the grubs will get rid of the moles. Milky spore isn't cheap if you have a large yard, but it does work.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Gopher snakes, aka bull snakes. Here in the South, a similar snake would be the Texas Rat snake.

When we lived in CA, we used to travel the desert back roads close to sunset. The snakes would crawl out onto the asphault to get warm and we'd pick them up. Sometimes they would be dead by the time we got them home as some car ahead of us had run over them. :-(

We'd release them down the gopher and ground squirrel holes.

A couple dozen snakes later and there was not a mole nor gopher to be found in the entire neighborhood, and a severe dent got put in the ground squirrel population. ;-)

As the food runs out, the snakes move on and they are harmless.

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Good kitty...... ;-D

Seriously tho', ever considered bird netting? It's cheap enough.

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

I did do bird netting one year. I had a couple of mouse suicides, at least it looked that way because the mice were hanging from the net. I'm serious about my cat doing a good job protecting my berries. My bushes are next to the back deck where my cat likes to hang out. There were a couple of redbirds that made a run at the bushes, Tesla shot off the deck like a rocket and got both of them.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Ooh, I hate to see redbirds killed. :-( They are so beautiful.

But, I generally feel that only stupid birds get caught by cats so it's good for the gene pool.

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

A Rat Terrier works wonders. Mine brought home nearly one per day last year, at least four or five a week. Sometimes, if I was a really good hooman, she would gift me with two.

Been too cold for the moles to come out so far this year, but she knows they're there. It's just a matter of time.....

-N

Reply to
Nightingale

Actually, I should probably clarify a bit.... she doesn't just bring home moles, but also mice, rats, voles, one squirrel, and the occasional chipmunk.

Happy hunter.

-K

Reply to
Nightingale

This was in my April, Jerry Baker newsletter. Cheers, LJ in Pitt Meadows, BC Canada

*************************************************************************** GOT MOLES? HERE'S HOW TO GET RID OF THEM ***************************************************************************

Moles are the bane of lawn lovers everywhere. If these sod-bustin' thugs are tearin' up your turf, you need to act fast to get a leg up on 'em now. Here's how to kick 'em out, once and for all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Get the grubs ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

favorite food - grubs. And the best way to get rid of grubs is by applying Milky Spore Powder. Milky Spore is a simple, natural bacteria that begins infecting and killing grubs immediately, and it keeps on working, year after year. Once this amazing stuff is established, it'll keep your yard grub-free for 10 years or more! Plus, it's completely harmless to birds, pets, people, and beneficial insects.

For more information on Milky Spore Powder, click on the link below:

the Vibrations ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Need some immediate relief? Moles are super sensitive to sounds and ground vibrations. So take advantage of their sensitivity by shaking things up a bit. Here's how:

ground along the moles' runs. As they spin in the wind, the vibrations underground will drive the moles crazy, and they'll soon head for quieter territory.

pinwheel on steroids. While the metal windmill blades spin silently above ground, they send their vibrations relentlessly underground. Moles can't stand it and quickly move out. It's effective, easy to use, and maintenance-free, to boot!

For more information on my Natural Mole Chaser, click on the link below:

>> But what can you do if you don't want pinwheels or a windmill right smack-dab in the middle of your front (or back) yard? Don't worry - you can still rattle the moles away. All you need is an underground sonic device that buries flush with the ground, like my Super Sonic Molechaser. One of these handy helpers will keep your yard mole free, and nobody will even know it's there!

For more information on my Super Sonic Molechaser, click on the link below:

the most complete line of mole control products available on the web, click on the link below:
Mole Movers ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If the moles need a little more persuasion, stuff any of these into their active runs, and they'll beat a hasty retreat!

they can't digest it, so it's their last meal.

big-time predator is on the prowl, and that's the last thing they want to mess with.

so you simply inject it into active tunnels or burrows. It smells just like the worms, grubs, and insects moles love to eat - moles simply can't resist it!

For more information on the Mole Gel Bait, click on the link below:

>> My Mole-Chaser Tonic: Mix 1-1/2 tbsp. of hot sauce, 1 tbsp. of dishwashing liquid, 1 tsp. of chili powder, and 1 qt. of water in a bucket, and pour a little of the mix into each mole hole. The little guys will get a taste they won't soon forget, and they'll move out right quick!

Reply to
LJ

Try a castor oil spray. "Liquid Fence" is a brand that is s'posed to work. Ya gotta redo it every so many months.

bahB

Reply to
bahbcat

I have two cats, both are rescuees and very greatful to have a home it seems. They earn their keep by keeping the mole / mice / rabbit and snake population to a minimum.

Nice beasts too.

Though, ahving a cat or cats isn't always the best or preferred choice. It's like adopting a child and you never know if you'll get a good one or not.

Reply to
Kate

I have a Taxedo cat, he's declawed and fixed. He always sprints for the outdoors and I never let him. He lived with us since we found him and never went outside. I suspect that he wont return if I let him look for the darn mole that invaded my side yard :(.

-M

Reply to
GrlIntrpted