Ground Beef Recall Expanded

I'm not irritated. ;-) I see exactly where you are coming from. The USDA allows given amounts of "coliform" bacteria in our foods as well as bug parts and rodent feces.

I see no way to totally avoid that short of raising ALL of your own food.

I just try not to think about it.

Except that due to the fact that we use shit as fertilizer means that it's going to be on your plant based foods as well. Bagged salad greens have killed more people than contaminated meat has.

You can't win that one. Sorry!

Raise your own veggies hydroponically so that they never have contact with dirt if you are really serious.

There are some hydroponic veggies available at the store. My favorite Boston Butter lettuce is sold that way, but it's slightly over $3.00 per head.

Whatever works for you babe... :-)

I'd prefer to avoid GMO foods too. I just don't trust them... I have too many food allergies as it is.

Reply to
Omelet

Did you stop to consider tho' that the B12 in that vitamin pill is still coming from an animal source?

Reply to
Omelet

Jangchub.

Please take a look at some of Stammet's research on wood consuming mushrooms. It might be helpful.

His books are available on this website:

appear to contain natural anti-viral properties.

Shitake mushroom is a good place to start and iirc, turkey tail is another. It's been awhile since I read his stuff... but they (him and his staff) also respond well to e-mails.

Hope this helps?

We may not always agree on everything, but I still like you. ;-)

A very good liver support herbal is Milk Thistle, widely available at the health food stores. It appears to help the liver to detox more easily. It's widely used (successfully) by alcoholics.

Reply to
Omelet

They do.

Reply to
Omelet

Billy expounded:

You have no idea who she is or how long she's been here: clue: she's been here since 1995. People here could say that you (or me, or anyone else) is a waste of time, too.

Which is as long as you've been around (a pittance compared to many), and for that year we've had to listen to your constant political rants. Many of your posts have nothing to do with gardening, why are you complaining when another member talks about non-gardening related issues? You can chit-chat with your friends but determine who else can do the same?

No, she's sharing with those of us who know her how she's doing. How small-minded must you be to sit in a newsgroup and take pot-shots at someone who is ill....someone you don't know and have no idea who she is or what's she's been through.

I doubt it.

Reply to
Ann

I buy chinese rice.

It's cheaper.

Reply to
Omelet

We don't have good, reliable public transportation. The US is also a MUCH bigger country than any one European country.

The North also gets more snow.

With the current price of gas, I'd be delighted to use it if it was available.

I am looking forward to the lite rail that will be going between Austin and San Antonio in a few years.

Betcha I plan to use that thing!!!

Reply to
Omelet

enigma expounded:

That's a huge problem for many of us in the eastern/metro/Boston sorta area. There isn't much public transportation. I'm fortunate in that now there's a rail line that runs through my town right into Boston, so I can go to Braintree, Quincy, etc. via railroad, but I can't get to Brockton, or out to the western part of the state, nor can I easily go north past Boston, without switching around on the T, etc. It's not easy to get around this area without a car.

Reply to
Ann

Omelet expounded:

I'm taggon on to Om's post - these are excellent suggestions. I think V has alreayd tried milk thistle, but I may be wrong....

I am taking a balanced B Complex that is 100% whole foods from Megafoods to see if it helps the thyroid condition I've developed (hyperactive). It seems to be working, along with soy lethecin capsules and a thyroid support supplement I found from a Canadian company. Long term stress can do nasty things to your thyroid as I have found out :o(

Reply to
Ann

Omelet expounded:

Be careful. They're using nasty things all over the place in China nowadays to increase production (as we well know!)

Reply to
Ann

And even then, birds and bugs still poop! LOL!

Yup!

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Ann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

yeah, they *really* need to connect North & South Stations! we took the train to NYC in January 2002 for a 5 day Linux show, with an 16 month old child. trying to juggle baby, diaper bag (i used cloth, so there were lots of diapers), suitcases, et al out of North Station, down to the T, getting it all *onto* the T, & off again at South Station was about the low point of the trip. i was grateful i had never got into using a stroller at that point. that would have only added to the mess.

parking in Boston is abysmal (but cheaper than NYC), so i don't take the kid down nearly as often as i'd like, to go to museums & stuff. and now with the new tunnel & stuff i really hate driving down toward South Shore & the Cape... lee

Reply to
enigma

Ann,

We talk about this off line? My doctor suspects some thyroid issues and I'm trying to educate myself.. C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Ann.

I seem to recall reading somewhere too that Iodine supplementation (in excess) can help reduce the effects of Hyperthyroidism?

Not 100% sure. Just a vague memory but you could research it a bit.

I have the opposite problem Hypothyroidism. :-P

Reply to
Omelet

Heh! Yeah. No kidding.

There have been some people executed over that mess.

Reply to
Omelet

Mmmmm... bug poop! Yum!

Om -> Sitting here eating some raw celery sticks. ;-D

Reply to
Omelet

Yup.

doofy

Ok, splitting hairs here, but calling yeast a plant is off-base. They're a fungus I believe, not a plant. They can be called a non-animal source.

I eat meat. Though Szechuan can give me the runs.

I'll just take my Lipitor.

Reply to
doofy

Ok, well, that sounds like a valid reason to me. ;-)

Are we talking about taoism, and thousand year eggs?

Reply to
doofy

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Yeppers, just send me an e-mail - annbal*at*comcast*dot net.

Reply to
Ann