got my first cucumber after 49 days!

I planted some cucumber seeds right at the end of June, and yesterday I finally decided to check to see if there were any cucumbers large enough to use. I ended up with a 3" gherkin that my son and I ate.

I'm thinking it normally takes longer than 49 days, doesn't it? I'm wondering if it was just quicker because I planted later than usual, and they grew in some of the hottest weather?

Reply to
Ohioguy

Same happened to me, although the reason for my late start is because I went through more than a packet of seeds before I could get any to survive due to earwigs and/or slugs. The sole survivor came up the first week of July, and I picked the first of 3 fat cukes last week, with many more little "cutecumbers" on the way.

I also wonder if growing on a straw bale helped.

Reply to
Nelly