Gardening Project for Kindergarten

I am teaching a kindergarten class about plants and one of the "science" projects is growing a series of plants from seedlings. I've planned out my plants but would like them to see them before we leave for the summer.

Is there a way of assisting the initial growth of the seedlings?

Many thanks.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Why didn't you plant radishes to start with? The kids could've eaten them before summer break.

In answer to your question, some seeds respond well to gentle bottom heat.

Reply to
Steve Peek

Great idea. If you have six weeks left, give it a go.

And some don't. Squash, and corn definitely do.

Reply to
Billy

Because most people don't know how fast radishes come on.

Reply to
phorbin

That is, most people who haven't grown radishes don't know.

The OP sounds kinda new.

Reply to
phorbin

Didn't know about radishes (or other tubers) growing quickly. I'm _usually_ given more time which has always allowed a good growth for tracking. The best experiment was sunflowers but that was three years ago so my memory might be a little rosey in hue.

Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try.

The kids were excited when they got to choose their own peppers (jalapenos, seranos, and Anaheim) to plant. They also planted sweet basil, cilantro, and mint in pots they painted...

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Bingo. Is there a growth rate charted (somewhere on Da Net) of the different garden plants?

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Not too new but certainly not a seasoned veteran of seedlings. It's never been an issue prior with the end-of-year looming so quickly. It's hell being queued at the end of a kit cycle.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Heat helps, but plants have their own maturity times, and germination of a couple of days earlier is not going to get you results much faster in the long run.

Maybe you could plant something that they could take home and nurture after school ends. If each child brings in a small plastic container with a hinged lid (like the ones cherry tomatoes come in), they could make a salad garden with a sprinkle of lettuce seeds in the middle, surrounded by green onions. The onions will be fun to taste long before they are ready to harvest, and baby lettuce can be nibbled on too, so the kids could get a little taste of their work before school ends. Then they could take it home and keep it watered for their own summer salads.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Probably. You could google plant growth chart. :)

Besides radishes, green beans and peas come up quickly and peas and radishes are both early spring plants that could be harvested before school is out.

Kate

Reply to
kate

Send the plants home and have the kids bring you produce next term. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

Bim-batta-boom. See above link for "Easter Egg Radish"- (25 days)

You be da man Bill.

Reply to
Billy

Maybe you can arrange for the 1st grade teacher to give them extra credit for the project but two and a half months seems like a long time for your average kindergardener to stay focused. Stress, negative reinforcement, doesn't make for life time learners.

I'd go for the "Easter Egg Radish"- (25 days)

A local nursery may have the seeds. You only need four weeks,

Reply to
Billy

Google is a wonderful tool sort of like walking into your local library. However no one helps define the question in Goggle. This is Crucial and it sort of predicates that you in away already know what you want more info about. So how to define the question becomes of import.

If you are looking about for competitor info sometimes a misspelled word opens doors.

Bottom line one must study /read /do stuff to ask a question that is possible to be defined. Otherwise like goggle says "I feel lucky "

Perhaps in the future a front end to the goggle stuff will mimic what the folks that pay for info like a Y graph of where the info resides to help find the info of import.

Bill who had a Scifinder chair from CAS when I worked for the man.

BTW REAL INFO MUST BE PURCHASED GEOREF close as I got.

Reply to
Bill

using as your search criteria

radishes days to maturity