frost already?

last night they were forcasting "spotty frost" across the midwest. luckily, it passed me by. anyone experience a killing frost yet and if so, when did it hit?

Reply to
brickled

Not yet here in southwest CT zone 6. It's been warm and humid thanks to Jeanne (not to mention WET). This Saturday night they're predicting a cool front coming thru but no mention of frost yet. Next week's lows are predicted for the

40's. Our avg. first frost date is Oct. 15.

Mary

Reply to
Mary McHugh

Here in northern Utah (somewhere between a zone 3 and 4), we've had a killing frost already. We got it early last week, and for at least 3 nights.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Larsen

Bite your tongue!

We don' need no stinkin' killing frost around here 'til Thanksgiving!

Penelope, with a little luck, anyway.

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

No frost yet, but watermelon that are just now starting to produce quite a bit of fruit. (I haven't looked in a few days, haven't been around.)

Is there a easy and fairly inexpensive way to help keep the plants warm enough at night?

Puckdr> last night they were forcasting "spotty frost" across the midwest. luckily,

Reply to
Puckdropper

Old sheets, blankets, towels, newspapers, and paper grocery bags are what get pressed into service at my house. When I 'retire' sheets and towels they get stockpiled for all sorts of projects and emergencies.

They do yard waste pickup here in large paper bags, which we accumulate each fall when we scarf leaves from around the neighborhood. The big bags are great for covering plants when frost threatens.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Reply to
Shawna Brasgalla

Northern Pennsylvania here. Killing frosts: September 19 and September 20.

Then it got warmer again, of course (annoyingly - it always seems to do this). I don't think we've had frost since September 20. But winter's on the way, that's for sure.

Pat

Reply to
pat

I think some places in MN had a frost in August that really damaged the soybeans and corn.

It dropped into the 20's here (SE Minnesota) Friday night, Oct 1, after raining all day and turning clear at dusk.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

In central Maine we've had two light frosts and the weatherman is predicting a killing frost for tonight. I just brought in all of my green tomatoes, to be ripened in boxes and paper bags. ...Gin

Reply to
Gin

Well, I guess it's my turn to check in. Things were quite frosty this morning. The first week of October is about average for a killing frost in my yard. I'm lucky enough to live on the lake front so I rarely have to worry about frost in September. People who live far away from the lake often have a light frost at the end of August. That happened this year. My thermometer had a low of 28 but tomato plants closer to the water than that thermometer were either undamaged or only lightly damaged. When I walked to work at 9 AM, the cars along the street were still heavily covered with frost. A co-worker of mine who lives on the other side of town had 21 degrees at 7 AM.

Steve in the Adirondacks of northern NY

Reply to
Steve