for songbird

These folks have over 80 varieties of heirloom beans. Interesting to look at even if you are not buying.

Steve

Reply to
peek0703

thanks! :) a lot of those i've seen before, a few i might have in one form or another.

i'm just now packaging up the beans i grew out for this guy.

i plan on doing more next year if i can.

as the years go by i'm getting used to seeing certain themes/patterns so that many of the heirloom beans may be repeated as i see them in my crosses and i know i haven't started with those beans to begin with.

specific traits or tracing parents i cannot do short of having a genetic sequencer so a lot of times i have to guess as to who the parents might have been.

i hadn't added much new seed stock to my collection for several years (probably since you or Derald sent me some beans) so this past season was the first time i'd put some new genes into my mix. i'm excited to begin seeding how they'll work out and interbreed.

i'm mostly interested in rounder beans (the Molasses Face or Yellow Eye bean are a nice shape to me), smaller beans and early, bush or semi-runner, but i'll grow a few lima pole beans as we like lima beans a lot. we grew some red ones this year and ate a lot from those as shellies and they were pretty good.

how are you doing? :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

wow! He has a great collection.

I'm with you, my favorite eating beans are of the yellow eye type.

Still kickin, maybe not as high as before. I'm still getting used to life in a wheelchair. My new handicapped equipped van should be here in about 2 weeks. Looking forward to freedom of mobility. Steve

Reply to
peek0703

it is.

i'm working on earlier versions of them because the fall rains can ruin some of them. it would be nice to have them all finished and picked by Sep 15th. so far i have a few that fit but getting enough seeds for a larger trial is taking me some time. luckily i can eat the rejects (or the worms will :) )...

i'm glad you are further south, getting around in the snow would likely be a PITA. i'm watching the snow come down this morning (though with the wind it is more horizontal than anything).

songbird

Reply to
songbird