Finding community garden space

Any ideas on how to find some community garden space, or who to proselytize?

I'm in the Newark, Ca. area. I saw something for Hayward Community Gardens, but that's a little far.

Reply to
doofy

Check the phonebook for Master Gardeners or a UC Davis Extention.

Reply to
Billy

I'm a tad xxxxx of you (Seattle) but I found literally dozens by googling "[name of city] pea patch" and "[name of city] community garden".

The latter even identified what communities within the city had gardens for communal use and where they were. Application wait periods seem to range from zero to 2 years.

Don

Reply to
Don H3

I tried googling too, and though many hits came back, none were feasible. Didn't know to use 'Pea patch'.

Reply to
doofy

So, I'm not finding any of these search results you speak of. Care to share one with me. I've even gone to Ask.com.

Reply to
doofy

You neglect to say where you live, but here is one in LA

to be closed apparently), and this one
were found in about 10 seconds by googling: 'los angeles ca "community garden"'

or here's pay-plots in Brisbane Ca:

if you want to find some in Brisbane Australia:

Don H3

So, I'm taking it that I've already exhausted this avenue with google. Google was the first place I went before hitting the newsgroup. Google and several other searches. Thanks for taking the time though.

Reply to
doofy

So, I called the city today, talked to someone, and he said one reason there were no community gardens in Newark was that there was lack of interest. But, he was going to beat the bushes and see what he could come up with.

Then I called Ardenwood Farms (1/4 mile away) in Fremont, and they couldn't help, but pointed me to Prusch Farms in San Jose (20 miles away). They haven't called back yet. But 20 miles one way is a bit of a drive. That's about $7 per round-trip.

I'll keep trying. This fella I talked to at the city offices told me to start trying to drum up interested people to help make it work.

I hate being a starter, but I'm also used to it.

Reply to
doofy

How about a want add for a garden plot? Some body must have land that would want to make a few bucks on it.

Reply to
Billy

There's an idea.

Reply to
doofy

Hmmmm ....

Some local schools have garden clubs (For the local community, not just kids) and some have provided space for the gardens in their court yards. My old High School located in the city has a green house and runs a flower shop next to it. It is odd, but some cities actually have 4H clubs and they may help run a community garden. And lets not forget the Boys and Girls clubs, they love those badges.

Just a thought ........ Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

More good ideas. Thanks beau coup.

Reply to
doofy

Did you try Milpitas? Or a general "Alameda County" search? There are many in SJ but that does you no good. It would be a good idea for someone to start a gardening program for the elderly who have yards they cannot maintain and who have no help in that area.

Reply to
KarenCannoli

I'm trying to start one in my town, but that will take a while. I've got an opening for one in San Jose. I might take it for the time being. I'm just trying to teach myself right now. 20 miles one way though.

I've called a local church to see if they want to sponsor it, and have called the city, and am looking at other options.

There are a LOT of them in San Jose.

Reply to
doofy

I would be interested in seeing how it works for you. Which SJ location did you choose? K

Reply to
KarenCannoli

Mayfair???? Kammerer and Sunset. There is a huge oak on the lot, and I want to make sure the available plot isn't in shade most of the day.

Reply to
doofy

Reply to
doofy