Fertiliser For Container Veggies

Hi Everybody,

It is almost springtime on this half of the world. Yay!

My vegetables are in containers - mostly 10-litre (2.5 gal) buckets. The tomatoes go in buckets twice that size.

Most of my potting soil has already been through two years of use, so I figure that the original "slow- release fertiliser" has exhausted.

So... How much fertiliser should I use, for a wide variety of vegetables - broccoli, capsicum/bell- peppers, courgettes/zucchini, strawberries, plus lettuce and spinach? I am a bit concerned about over- fertilising, with lots of foliage, but less fruits.

My main source is pelletised sheep manure and blood- bone meal.

Thanks...

Reply to
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

I would sprinkle some 10 - 10 - 10 very lightly around the area and no closer than 6 inches from the plant. Other wise I would get some miracle gro and mix it in the water per instructions, and apply it while watering.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

I think you should have a good look at the package. Most manufacturers have dose instructions for both ground and container planting. Strength varies with manufacturers. Also see if the manufacturer has a web site.

Failing that I would use a handful each of pellets & of meal in 2 quarts of soil. My open hand is about 4" x 7". I just reach in and grab what I can.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce & Lois Nelson