farkleberries?

Has anybody grown farkleberries? What conditions do they like? Are they tasty?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

HI There a nice bit of information on this website

Tomatoe :o)

Reply to
Red Tomatoe

Thanks

Looking good for a while, grows in zones 6-9, drought tolerant, soils tolerant, hardy... however

"They can be eaten by people too, but they are bitter and not very good, and most references say they are inedible."

Has anybody here actually eaten them?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Never eaten them but like rose hips they may be turned into preserves I'd hazard to guess. Just about anything can be boiled with sugar and ingested it seems.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

My brother had a 30-something year old native farkleberry bush in Texas until Hurricane Ike killed it. That thing was huge (the f. bush.) I think the birds liked the berries but that's about all they were good for. I'm pretty sure the birds planted it.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob