Cucumber Flowers

Hi, my cucumber plant has dozens of male flowers but only 2 female ones

- so it doesnt look like its going to fruit much! Any ideas how to get more female flowers?

Reply to
hellochicken

Remove, and keep removing, the male flowers. Next year, go to your garden centre and buy a plant with only female flowers.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

How old are the plants? Mine didn't start putting out female flowers until the plants got fairly big. Now I have cukes everywhere.

Reply to
Matthew Reed

Not going to fruit much? Are you kidding? How much fruitier do you want it to be? It's obviously a 10%er. But hey, if it's happy, who are you to judge? Don't ask. Don't tell. Definitly don't let the neighbors know. If they find out that you don't have a traditional garden, there could be heck to pay:-)

Reply to
William L. Rose

Be patient. They usually start with a bunch of male flowers before the females really start appearing.

Reply to
The Cook

I know little about cucumbers but I grow a type called Diva that prodces only females, no males needed for pollination. You can read about them here:

yes, they are the only type I grow and I love cucumber sandwiches!

Keep them in mind for next year.

Reply to
Jim Carter

I'm reasonably sure that I read on one of the gardening newsgroups that if you pinch the growing tips off their main stems curcubits will start producing female flowers. I haven't tried this, but if the cucumber vines have reached a good spread, this could be tried.

-- John Savage (my news address is not valid for email)

Reply to
John Savage