Cross-pollinate Corn Sunflower

I have heard that Corn and Sunflower will Cross-Pollinate. Have any of you ever heard of such? Thanks in advance for your emails to snipped-for-privacy@icehouse.net.

Kevin

Reply to
JandK23

I don't think that is possible... AFAIK, unrelated genera cannot cross-pollinate. Only species in the same genus, and sometimes not even then.

One is a monocot, the other is a dicot. They are not even in the same family.

Where did you hear this?

Reply to
Katra

Reply to
extincted

Heard it yesterday, maybe?

BOB

Reply to
BOB

I heard it from a friend at work here in Idaho who use to farm for a living. When she told me, I scratched my head in disbelief. Others did some scratchin' too when I asked them about it.

Reply to
JandK23

Well, looks like my corn will be getting a nice view of some big ol' flowers then. Thanks to all.

Kevin

Reply to
JandK23

G'day JandK23,

It wasn't April 1st when she told you was it ?

China Wingham NSW

065
Reply to
China

I'd guess you'd get Sunflower Seed on the Cob, heh?

-- Jim Carlock Please post replies to newsgroup.

"JandK23" wrote: I heard it from a friend at work here in Idaho who use to farm for a living. When she told me, I scratched my head in disbelief. Others did some scratchin' too when I asked them about it.

Reply to
Jim Carlock

No, no, no...you'd get corn flowers!

Penelope, corn and sunflowers *must* cross pollinate, because cornflowers grow wild around here.

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

No, not 04/01. I had to think about that for a bit.

Reply to
JandK23

Reply to
Dena