Courgette Rot

This year I had massive issues with rot on the end of my courgette & at the base of the plants I had it on all 5 plants & then on my squash.

Any idea what it could be & will it affect me next year. Was all find previous years.

Reply to
Alphatono

Google "blossom end rot" for a million hits. You are probably watering unevenly. Unless it is deficient calcium in the soil watering evenly in future should fix it.

David Hare-Scott

or you need honey bees.

Reply to
Billy

"Rot at the base of the plant" could be your interpretation of the effects of squash vine borers.

And squash vine borers could cause the plant to fail to set or abort fruit.

Squash vine borers don't occur everywhere squash are grown, though I do remember reading that they had been unintentionally introduced into areas where they are not native.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I have had similar problems it seems to be when the courgettes don't grow quickly enough when they are very small and I always seem to loose a few at the start and end of the season. Maybe they are not getting pollinated?

Reply to
Potman

???? Would the courgettes have started to grow enough to get a rotted end if the flower hadn't been visited by a bee?

Reply to
FarmI

Apparently they do start to grow while infertile and only continue to grow if fertilised. I am unsure how big they will get as I usually have to shoo away the bees to get near them.

David Hare-Scott

I'll go with the big guy. There are few bees around now, and the squash are petering out quickly. Then there is the mildew, but the aborted squash started before the mildew problems.

Reply to
Billy

That's been my observation. With my garden, it usually happens when cucurbits first start flowering. I guess that it takes time for the bees to integrate them new stop into their schedules ;O)

Was your trip a vacation or did you have business to take care of? If the former, have you discussed it in any of the groups? I have a bad case of wanderlust, and I'm always curious about what's around the next bend, or over the next rise.

Reply to
Billy

That's interesting. Does the same thing happen with other fruits/veg that is really a fruit?

Reply to
FarmI

"Billy" wrote in message news:Wildbilly-

It was a holiday Billy and just a magic one. No, I haven't discussed it on other lists (other than an extremely brief mention). It wasn't my choice of destination so I had limited expectations but it turned out far better than I ever could have anticipated. I can recommend a trip there, especially Peru where the food was exceptional (all of it even the grub one eats just because you need a belly filler), the people were all delightful and the scenery and landscapes were always interesting or stunning or breathtaking. Macchu Pichu has to be seen to appreciate it as no pic can really do it justice but it's too crowded for my liking. Chile and Bolivia were places we'd love to see more of, and the same for Brazil although we liked the bits we saw (Iguassu is stunning as is BA). Would go back to every place except Rio which has very grubby beaches in comparison to those of Aus and has somewhat limited appeal for a couple of bumkins like us as we're not 'into' shopping or shows or grubby beaches. As a spinner and sometime weaver, I enjoyed that aspect of the western parts of it but would really have liked to have access to a translator who knew something about the subject as the only time I got to talk to a real spinner, I had doubts about what she was supposedly doing and the explanation for why she was doing it - what I was told sounded like a complete load of old rubbish. We were as sick as dogs from the altitude from the time we got to Cusco and stayed that way till we left La Paz but other than that, I was as fit as a Mallee Bull. Himself wouldn't lsiten to my advice and not eat lettuce in road side places and got a gut bug which took him 2 weeks to get over. I was not sympathetic. The trip home was a bitch - 36 hours from hotel door to home. It's a long way to SA from here. It took a couple of weeks to get over waking in the middle of the night and wanting to bounce out of bed. I'd recommend it. Next time we will go to the Galapagos and down into Patagonia.

Reply to
FarmI

Some plants produce full fruit without fertilisation, it's called parthenocarpy. For example bananas, some oranges and watermelons. Most fruits don't develop very much at all and fall while tiny and hard if not fertilised. I don't know how many partially develop if not fertilised.

David Hare-Scott

Watermelons do that!!! Most interesting. I'd always assumed that they were like the other members of the melon family and needed to be grown on their own if you were a seed saver. Must plant some of those sun and moon ones now I know that bit of info.

Reply to
FarmI

Thanks for the thumb-nail. I'm green with envy.

Reply to
Billy

I take it you don't want your moon and stars to produce hybrid seed. Maybe I am thick today but I don't understand how this aim relates to parthenocarpy.

David Hare-Scott

I read that as some oranges and "some" watermelons. I could of course be wrong, I am a male.

Mike

Reply to
Bloke Down The Pub

Maybe

No, I'm being thick today. I'll still have to grow my stars and moon watermelons on thier own. Bummer.

Reply to
FarmI

Hmm. I read it as David wrote it. Some oranges and watermelons. I took him to mean all watermelons ie all varities thereof.

My problem was that I then went off too far and forgot that other melons in the vercinity (sp???) might/would/could also fertilise those watermelons.

Now I'm just totally confused. I'm going to bed. Perhaps this will make more sense on the morrow. Or perhaps I'll just not grow any melons other than rockmelons.

Reply to
FarmI

Thanks for this little foray. I'd always thought that parthenocarpy meant seedless. Now I know why ;O)

Reply to
Billy