Cabbage question

I planted 18 cabbages at the same time, all have the same sun and water, yet one is about big enough to weigh 8 lbs and the rest are the size of softballs. I wanted them for sauerkraut, and need to process 5 or more heads at a time. Does anyone have any idea why they aren't growing at the same rate?

Thanks in advance.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Did you start the seeds or did you buy plants?

Reply to
TQ

I bought the plants from a local green house that started them from seeds.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

some of them might have been rootbound. cabbage is special for that.

Reply to
simy1

Could be you bought one of a differnt variety than the others.

Reply to
TQ

I didnt check for that, but there were 6 to a pack, and I pulled them out and put them in the ground and covered up the roots.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

I did, two packs (12 plants) of one vaiety and one pack of another. They were all planted the same day.

What will happen if I leave them in the ground until the are all the same size? Some one said they might get bitter.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne