Blueberries

I want to plant some blueberry bushes in the Spring. To protect them from birds I plan to screen them in. In past years, I shared my neighbor's garden and kept the deer and rabbits out by planting haberero peppers around the garden. My concern with deer is they tear down the screen.

What do you due to protect berry bushes?

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Dick the framework for my screen is made out of metal uprights of the type signposts are made and the horizontal members are bamboo. The deer leave my berries alone, but the raccoons are a problem. A couple weeks before they ripen I start live trapping them and relocate them to a state park.

For subsequent seasons, consider planting in the fall. It gives your plants several months to establish a root structure before they leaf out.

Reply to
Ernie

We pounded rebar into the ground, slipped half-inch PVC pipe over it, and using standard PVC connectors made a simple "box." We measured, and made sure everything was in 4-foot increments (8x8, 8x12, etc.). This way, it was easy (well, relatively easy) to cover it with bird netting--we didn't have to cut odd shapes out of the netting. We attached the netting to the frame with twist ties. Two edges of the bird netting meet where we want to enter; we just undo the ties to go in, and twist them up again when we're done.

This has worked fine for us for birds and small animals; I don't know about deer--they can get pretty determined.

The white PVC pipe is not very attractive. If I were to do it again, I'd look for a darker color. The netting, however, just "disappears" visually, which is nice.

Reply to
tuckermo

You can paint PVC...

Reply to
Omelet

Thank you, I like this idea very much.

My solution to rabbits and deer is to plant habenero peppers around anything I don't want them near. I believe humans are the only species dumb enough to eat hot peppers! :)

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

I used to plant marigolds and onion to keep rabbits out of my garden. It worked most of the time, but there was one difficult cottontail who seemed irritated that I'd do such a thing. He'd jump over them.

Sue

Reply to
Wind River