starting fruit trees and bushes...

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a blueberry plant, a raspberry plant, strawberry plants, and an apple tree online. The small blueberry 8 inch plant arrived today. My plan is to grow them all in containers out on the deck in the back. I assume I plant them and keep them in the house until when? The blueberry is dwarf northsky and very hardy. When should I bring it outside - at the same time I plant my regular garden seedlings or sooner? I'm in zone 6 NYC.

I read that the blueberry soil should be acidic and sandy. I haven't really ever had to mix a soil up before. What should I add to make the soil acidic? I have Cactus/ succulent mix, sphagnum peat moss, regular potting soil and seed starting soil, what kind of mix should I use for its soil?

Thanks

Craig K Staten Island

Reply to
Craig

Hi Craig,

I'm thinking that since you are in zone 6 and purchased online, tha they came bareroot and with instructions. They are probably dormant but you will still have some freezes, so you may need to start the indoors. They should send them at the proper time for plantin outdoors. The directions should tell you what to do. Next time yo mailorder, check references here.

to the soil, peat moss is acidic, but doesn't have very man nutrients. Potting soils are peat moss with some perlite and mayb vermiculite mixed in. I would suggest that you use the potting soil. If you can get a bag of compost, mix 60% potting soil with 40% compos for your fruit, including your tree.

Here's some sites you should find helpful. Read all the way down t include 'Characteristics of Blueberry Cultivars for Minnesota' at thi site.

"All apple cultivars are considered self-incompatible, meaning tha they cannot pollinate themselves or any flowers of the same cultivar You will need to plant at least two different cultivars of apple tree together in order to achieve maximum fruit yield and quality. I addition, the two cultivars selected need to have viable pollen an bloom at the same time to ensure successful pollination. Some nurserie also offer apple trees that have two or more compatible cultivar grafted on the same tree."
realize that I have given you many sites, but I feel they all hav useful info you will need.

New

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

Newt,

Thanks all your info was very helpful. I ordered all this stuff I've never grown before and feel a bit overwhelmed like I'm going to kill all the plants soon after they arrive.

Unfortunately, The instructions were very generic and didn't say if I keep inside or go straight outside with the blueberry and raspberry. Since it was very cold and there was still snow and I all around, I planted the blue indoors and am storing the raspberry in the fridge as they suggest until I can plant it.

Thanks again...

Reply to
Craig

Craig, You are very welcome! Sorry, but I don't know how to cut and snip al this stuff and still have all the colors. I'm posting from a forum an not usenet.

Best of luck, New

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt