black spots on my tomato leaves

Just got back into gardening after many years of not bothering and grow

my own tomato plants from seeds I probably put them outside a bit to early (two weeks ago) now I notice the lower leaves have black spots o them and not looking very good. I Googled for an answer but I'm not sure I've had the definitive repl exactly, so far it's only the lower leaves and the plants have starte to grow again after the sudden shock of all that cold rain...are the doomed do you think

-- martin godliman

Reply to
martin godliman

Look at the following. They may help.

Billy

"martin godliman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk...

Are they spots or patches? Are they black or purplish brown? Are they brown on the outer edge of the leaf? If spots are they small or large?

If they are purplish brown starting on the lower leaves, then it sounds like Tomato Leaf mould. This usually occurs in greenhouses but can happen outside too.

If brown on the outer part of the leaf then blight could be the cause.

If small spots occur then a deficiency may be the cause or the cold which has a similar affect (the plant can't access the nutrients properly if the weather is cold.).

PDM

Reply to
PDM

Are black spots forming on the vines too?

How cold has it been for the past two weeks?

...because it sounds like the "late"(a misnomer) blight came early.

phorbin

I had same problem with plastic greenhouse... trying to get early crop in Southern Cal. I sprayed with very dilute Naccosan and cut off the affected leaves. Removed plastic and all is Ok now.

Reply to
rondoc

and it's spots and not burned edges of the leaf? which could mean that they weren't hardened off properly. If that be the case you can relax now, the damage is over, and they will recommence to develop normally.

Reply to
Billy

Thanks for the replies Rondoc and the others I though when I posted was talking on a UK forum so by south I meant London ! but I gues basic principles apply I can't do anything until I know which of the replies are nearest t what's going on for me I suspect higher fertility might be needed i ground that has been uncultivated for some few years. Thanks again

-- martin godliman

Reply to
martin godliman

If you have planted in the last two weeks, the soil fertility will have little to do with it unless you are growing in a toxic waste site.

Reply to
Billy

I'm hoping you're right Billy I almost certainly did put them out a bi too early and after a very warm spell the spring has gone cold an wet.....typical spring in fact

-- martin godliman

Reply to
martin godliman