Anybody fiddleheading?

Here in northern Maine the fiddleheads are just sprouting.

Picked enough for 2 meals the other evening near the swamp. The larger ones were about 1" in dia. or slightly larger. I've been told they're more tender than the larger ones.

Anyone else picking fiddleheads? When does the season start and end where you live? How do you eat them plain, with vinegar? How do you get the paper off?

Jim Maine

Reply to
JK

apparently not

Reply to
Steve

My neighbor is eating fiddleheads at least twice a day right now.

I haven't been out into the woods to pick them yet, but we have oodles growing on our place.

Any cooking tips you want to share? We just steam them...

Jan, in Alaska

Reply to
Jan Flora

What's a fiddlehead? Is this something we know by a different name in UK?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

It's the very young sprout of a fern. Certain varieties are not only edible, but delectable.

Reply to
Jan Flora

Google, and Google images has some stuff.

Reply to
Ken Anderson