Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

White clover as living mulch
Has anyone used white clover as living mulch? I've just planted white dutch clover in my corn field on the theory that clover fixes nitrogen and corn consumes vast quantities of nitrogen. Corn is much...
5
5

Slugs
I live in Ellicott City, MD and have been in this house for 19 years. Yesterday there were three LARGE slugs on our patio. First time we've seen slugs. From whence did they come?
7
7

downpour
finally, after waiting since last fall to test the water catch/diversion i'd put in we had a hard enough rain to test the high water mark, overflow and the drain rate. i need to raise one side by few...

protein in cow manure
does anyone have an idea of how much protein is typically found in cow manure?
22
22

I'm tired
Yesterday I set out 44 tomato plants. DH dug the holes with a post hole digger and I set out the plants. Later we went back out and put cages around all of them. Thankfully the ground is moist. and...
10
10

Edible or not?
I found these mysterious things growing in my garden. The internet says they're Morel mushrooms and they may be safe to eat. I would definitely like a second opinion about that. I found this webpage...
33
33

cold (after all that early warmth) NE USA
Wrapped up the garden as best we can, predicted lows for tonight are 25F (-4C), tomorrow 24, next night 24. Predicting 7 hours under 30 (-1C) tonight. Likely to be more of an issue than it might have...
1
1

Possible hybrid
Someone once said you can't have one without the other. A new analysis finds higher yields from industrial-style agriculture, but a role for organic farming in certain circumstances.
5
5

best white/green and purple grape varieties for SW Ohio?
I'm planting 3 grape plants this spring. I've already planted a red variety, and was wondering if anyone could suggest a white/green variety, as well as a purple or dark blue variety. Basically, I'm...
2
2

Fungi growing with my lettuce :(
Hello all I have made newspaper plant pots with the aim of cutting down cost this year! Today I noticed that I have something extra growing with a lettuce that I planted. Admittedly my paper pots were...
3
3

A Taste of Spring Yikes!
The same cold front that brought the weekend's rain also brought a return to springtime temperatures -- for a couple of days, at least. Last night's low was 45° F (approx 7° real); actually, that's...
2
2

Beginner Basil Growing Tips?
Hi, Im growing basil for the first time from seeds. At the moment the seedlings are sitting in my 40-cell propagator (with transparent cover) and there are around 5-10 seedlings per cell (each cell is...
2
2

Plant 'fruit' tree wife's birthday (where to get Strawberry Tree?)
My wife's birthday is coming up and I want to try something that lasts longer than, say, flowers. I'm wondering if I can find and plant a tree in northern california that she saw on our honeymoon in...
13
13

Rhubarb ready?
The leaves are huge and the stalks are nice and long. Is it ok to harvest it now?
2
2

Snails on Fruit Trees
I have two mulit-variety fruit trees and have been picking snails off of the trunk and lower branches, but I was wondering if they are harmful to the trees?
4
4