Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Some Days You Just Can't Catch a Break. Who's Next?
Koala Photo Shows Forest Destroyed By Loggers, Animal's Heartbreak After Losing Home

2012 bean report?
any interest in my ramblings from last season's beans/peas? i've tried to write it up a few times and it's pretty long -- i keep deleting it. last season was unusual, i did learn a fair bit, there...

Europe Bans Pesticides Thought Harmful to Bees
PARIS ? The European Commission will enact a two-year ban on a class of pesticides thought to be harming global bee populations, the European UnionĀ¹s health commissioner said Monday. The U.N. Food...
1
1

Biochar and denitrification in soils
Agricultural soils represent the main source of anthropogenic N2O emissions. Recently, interactions of black carbon with the nitrogen cycle have been recognized and the use of biochar is being...
2
2

Wood/Bark/Mulch attracting tiny ants close to the house?
We only started mulching with commercial mulches(Bagged) a couple of years = ago. Since them we have been seeing more tiny ants in the house. And DH say= s they are outside, he saw a column of them...
9
9

the bird parade
while out digging yesterday i was having fun with the killdeer pair that has returned again to nest in the fenced garden. i know it is the same pair as last season because they are fairly tame when...
15
15

So far this year
DH has finished replacing 4 of the 5 old planter boxes. The last one will have to wait until the garlic and onions come out. The new boxes are one plank higher than the old ones. A little easier to...
1
1

wood ashes
i have some wood ashes available and have been reading up on the best ways to use them. i'd be interested in hearing from people who use them and experiences or cautions. what i have read so far says...
15
15

notes up
finally got the notes done from the two books (_Dirt_ and _The Biochar Solution_) and along with a few other topics of the moment. it's at: the notes are my own method of tracking what i'm reading,...

around tuit
finally got the old grape vine removed and now have a nice arbor that i can use for climbing beans this season. the surrounding area is an auxillary strawberry patch (if i get berries from there i'm...

Pea crop failure?
I planted peas 5 weeks ago. They're just now starting to come up. So far I've only seen only three seedlings out of whole packet of seeds. I just noticed the third seedling today. What are the chances...
22
22

rodale 30yr study
i don't recall this link being posted, i've not read it yet, but supposedly it is a comparison between conventional methods and organic done for 30 years....
20
20

The Whole Truth About Soy
Is soy "Heart Healthy"? See the video. Same people up to the same ol' tricks. Kaayla T. Daniel also has a book called "The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food". I avoid...
7
7

New year , new place , new garden
Well , I managed to get part of my new garden space tilled before the worm gear stripped ... so next trip up from Memphis the big tiller is near the top of the list .I went ahead and started a few...
3
3

Help?
Hey guys and gals! Hope all is well with you all. I am moving into a new apartment in a couple of weeks, the apartment has a small balcony that I wanted to make the most of. I was thinking about...
3
3