Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

jack frost
we've had a few light frosts up until now, but the weather was trending well above average. this week we'll be below average and have some 30F forecasts for a few nights with chances of rain. nice day...
9
9

Storing unripe uncut avocado in fridge: In plastic bag?
Googling reveals a variety of answers, but the 10,000 foot view seems to be to store uncut unripe avocados in the fridge for upto a week. Whether to store them in tightly sealed plastic bags or the...
2
2

routine as routine gets
lovely weather lately, sunshine, mid 60s-70s most of the time. the rain finally went away and things have dried out enough that i can get back to the drainage project. it is much easier to redig than...
12
12

Super Dirt
Super Dirt Scientific American September 2013 p. 76 Enlisting bacteria and fungi from the soil to support crop plants is a promising alternative to the heavy use of fertilizer and pesticides TOMATOES...

Plants nutrients
Hello everyone... What are the easiest way so that the plant will get the better nutrients...

Another Bio-char article
In the first study of its kind, Rice University scientists have used synthetic biology to study how a popular soil amendment called "biochar" can interfere with the chemical signals that some microbes...
8
8

Squirrel meets tragic end
Found a gray squirrel next to my garden this morning. I have an ordinary el ectric fence around my garden to keep the deer out. Apparently a deer broke the wire sometime last night and this morning a...
9
9

froggy mornings
when it is foggy we call it froggy. lately, a usual sign of fall is froggy mornings. waking up to pea soup and having to wait a bit for things to burn off and dry out enough. the dry bean harvest is...

Tree planted has air pockets
I have not been having too much luck with planting fruit trees. I seem to be doing something wrong. I end up with air pockets around the roots. Any suggestions? Thanks
10
10

Cheap Seeds
Does anyone have a favorite place to buy cheap seeds? MJ
3
3

Fall Planting
I am looking for ideas of what I can plant and grow in the greenhouse this fall and winter. I keep it above freezing all winter but not really warm. I am thinking lettuce, onions and snow peas but I...
1
1

Fruits full of Vitamins
Hello members.... How are you all ????? Which are the different fruits which helps us in getting the vitamins... Which are the fruits which are useful for getting the different vitamis...
1
1

what is the most unusual critter
you'd ever expect to see chasing and eating grasshoppers? this morning i was doing the usual and looked out the window to see a harrier (hawk, otherwise known as marsh hawk) sitting near one of the...
14
14

fruit border advice needed
hello everyone, I've got a border area which is 9m long and 1.2m wide. It runs along a 1.8m tall fence which is north facing, but also has the tops of my neighbours shrubs, making it around 2.2m tall....

Technical boy type input sought
I want to buy a garden mulcher. I have in mind a big powerful brute of a thing that I can use without calling for male muscle power to start it by pulling the start cord or needing help from Him in...
5
5