Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Report on chemicals out today
Op-Ed Columnist New Alarm Bells About Chemicals and Cancer By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF Published: May 5, 2010 The President¹s Cancer Panel is the Mount Everest of the medical mainstream, so it is...
21
21

Potato planting date
About how many days before the last frost date can potatoes be planted? TIA, allan
6
6

Irrigating Cucurbits
I've been hand watering the young plants, but I think it's time to set up the drip irrigation for the year. The cucurbits look like they are ready to take off and the temps are in the 80's. It seems...
5
5

Peppers and tomatoes are *finally* sprouting
Gonna be a late harvest this year. (Chile de arbol and an unknown variety of "Roma" tomatoes.) I was beginning to wonder if the pepper seeds were still good. I think the kitchen is just a little too...

Whats eating my indoor chilli plants?
Picture as below: 'm guessing greenfly but I'm not sure. How best to get rid of them. I used some mild detergent in a sprayer and gently wiped them off with tepid water.
20
20

Whats with onion sets.
Hi . Anyone care to explain how to grow onions from year to year. I'm not understanding how making onion sets gets you anywhere. You either let then grow and eat them or plant them late and make sets...
12
12

Day in the garden
Yesterday was a beautiful day. The birds were singing and the temps were in the high 70°Fs (mid 20°Cs). DW was off to visit with her mother, and I was at home watching our arthritic shepherd, who...
11
11

tomoatoes & blue berries
I am a new gardener. I have two raised beds 4x6. One I planted 3 blueberry bushes in last fall. They survived the winter and are flowering well. i would also like to grow strawberries & tomoatoes. I...
1
1

poor germination rates for Climbing Bean (Blue Lake)
Hello I am currently growing my crop of climing beans (Blue Lake Variety) in individual pots, indoors. However, the rate of germination has been very poor. Currently only about 30% of the total...
1
1

Is this for real?
I'm trying to grow a garden and some organic foods, but I'm not sure where to start.. I found this website online but I just want to see if anyone has done this program before and maybe get some...
5
5

Pepper Plants
My pepper plants (many varieties) have some brown spotting on them. They are not wilted and seem to doing well. There are a few leaves that are mostly brown but it seems they are just that way, not...

Borer beetles
I have been seeing parallel rows of holes in my pines. I thought it was woodpeckers. I was told it was borer beetles. I sprayed Sevin, and the problem seems to have stopped. Question is, if it was...
1
1

"Let It Rot"
Dan, what do you think of the book?
4
4

How Long Does Tree Spray Need?
I've been wanting to spray my small orchard for three days now, since the petals fell, but it's been too windy. I'd hoped the wind would die down this evening, Thursday, but no luck. I'll try tomorrow...
3
3

Roots in Raised Bed
I've been doing SFG in raised beds for a couple of years now, and there is now an accumulation of left over roots in the beds from past plantings. I imagine they compost at some time, but do they...
29
29