Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

syrphid fly
Well the Bumble bee has a partner this year and with the Melon vines I now see syrphid flies. Is there a good way to attract the hoverers? Are they pollen gatherers or Nectar eaters? There a perfect...
3
3

Odd garlic cloves
This is my first visit here so apologies if this question has been asked before but... I planted garlic late last year and they've been doing really well, but when I checked them today I noticed that...
2
2

Please help identify this plant, known as Callaloo in Jamaica
My Jamaican gardeners have planted something they call Callaloo in my garden. The Wikipedia article lists a number of plants that are used for Callaloo but none of them are an exact match for this...
13
13

pruning tomato flowers?
We have some indeterminate tomatoes (Cherokee Purples), which are growing well (knock on wood), and producing a lot of flowers, and (so far) some fruits. We cut a tree this year, so have actual SUN in...
3
3

snails and slugs
We have snails and slugs in the garden. Has anyone found a good way to get rid of them?
27
27

Optimism, I Guess....
Well, despite a definite trend a/o this typing: , a few glimpses of blue sky and flashes of sunshine have me so optimistic that our days-long spell of unbroken clouds and rain is breaking, as to hang...
5
5

Mixed results from my garden.
Hello, Id like to report my garden results so far. I did the straw cover garden with ground cover for weed issues. In a Ruth Stout kinda That part is fantastic. Ive been following the advice from the...
8
8

Mould on young apple trees
I'm growing some apple trees from seed. They're about 3 months old and were doing really well, but recently started to develop what look like mould spores on the leaves and stem. I washed them all...
3
3

Tomatoes problematic this year (twisty, dark, short)
Year after year I've been growing 6 Early Girl tomatoes in a patch surrounded by concrete, the patch being 11 feet by 25 inches. I usually get terrific results. I dig out the soil about 2 feet down...
6
6

cucumber problems - help please
Ive got cucumbers in a grow bag in a greenhouse, last year in the same position they were great, lots of fruit and no problems, this year they are being treated exactly the same but after the fruit...
10
10

Plant I.D.
I almost forgot this yearly ritual of finding out what I am growing. First pic on left, with drooping purple flowers. I'd be ever so appreciative, if someone could tell me what it is. Thanks.
3
3

Edible berry?
Hello There have been many posts about edible berries but I could not find anything that looks like the one I'm after so please forgive a newbie if this has been handled before. I have a 6m tree/shrub...
3
3

Watering Tomatoes
With our amiable discussion of "blossom end rot", and the merits of avoiding water stress in the vine, solidly fixed in the rear view mirror, I send along some views on watering published by our local...
5
5

Human aided squash pollination
Early on, my kabochas (and related squash, I always seem to have some other _weird_ looking squash in the patch), are loath to set because: 1. There aren't any male flowers (with pollen) 2. The bees...
1
1

runner bean query
I have been growing runner beans for the first time. The first red flowers that came out have wilted after a few days. Is this normal? I have been using feed once a week. Any advice on any of this?
1
1