syrphid fly

Well the Bumble bee has a partner this year and with the Melon vines I now see syrphid flies. Is there a good way to attract the hoverers? Are they pollen gatherers or Nectar eaters? There a perfect match for my melon and tomato plants.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

if you're talking about what i think you are talking about (hummingbird moths and other hovering moths) these could be the parent of the tomato hornworm or the tobacco hornworm. i.e. they will eat nectar and lay eggs on your plants which then will get hatch and eat the leaves. so watch out for the eggs/worms and pick them off your tomatoes if you really want a crop. they can do a lot of eating in a very short period of time...

squash have enough leaves you might want to sacrifice a half dozen to the worms, but i'd still be leery of letting them go hog wild as that could impact your harvest.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Do you know how to google "syrphid fly, pic"? Then you would know what you are talking about.

Reply to
Billy

Billy wrote: ...

before. i sometimes write replies when i am offline so i cannot look things up.

my memory being what it is i took hover and sy and confused them with sphynx which is how i've always misspelled it.

now that i am online, yes i could look and see that it is a different creature being talked about than what i imagined. funny that, in world of billions i could get some wrong.

usenet is the means of conversation and interaction, a usenet newgroup, if you want a moderated forum where you can only read items from "authorities" then this ain't it.

i'll admit i was wrong. :)

yesterday i made chicken soup from a roasted chicken brought to us from the neighbors who raise them. and a three bean salad from fresh beans from the garden. it will be a surprise for the management when she returns.

this after taking some beans to another neighbor who cannot garden any longer, but she was nice enough to feed me some strawberry shortcake and have tea and talk for a few hours in the hot part of the day.

today i should get out and get some rhubarb and make another round of sauce since i've finished off the last batch. so, time to go, have a nice day.

peace,

songbird

Reply to
songbird