Please help identify this plant, known as Callaloo in Jamaica

My Jamaican gardeners have planted something they call Callaloo in my garden. The Wikipedia article lists a number of plants that are used for Callaloo but none of them are an exact match for this plant,

think it looks like taro but my gardeners don't think so. They brought the seeds from Jamaica where it's grown commercially so chances are that this is safe. However these are the same guys who said that pokeweed was edible so I'm not going to touch this stuff until I know what it is. Please help identify this.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Asshole did you not post this before?????????

Reply to
Bill who putters

No I posted the pokeweed picture, this is a different plant.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

But it is. With qualifications, of course.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Reply to
Gary Woods

Yes, they love it.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

All I saw is that same pokeweed.

Did they say it was _good_?

Reply to
balvenieman

I put up a second picture of it, the album is called Callaloo and it should be public. The background is the same as the pokeweed because it's in the same garden (I've pulled out most of the pokeweed). The leafshape is different, the Callaloo has a crinkly leaf, the pokeweed has a smooth leaf.

General Schvantzkoph

That can only be because the ganja has destroyed their senses! At the url you gave, I still see only the pokeweed photo. What's up?

Reply to
balvenieman

Most of the time, yes, callaloo is taro. However it seems that other plants are used to make the dish called callaloo. Such as amaranth, spinach, and even pokeweed. If you'll google Callaloo plants, you will find much info. and even recipes. I found Wikipedia interesting and

has an extensive article. (pictures too)

Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

Most of the time, yes, callaloo is taro. However it seems that other plants are used to make the dish called callaloo. Such as amaranth, spinach, and even pokeweed. If you'll google Callaloo plants, you will find much info. and even recipes. I found Wikipedia interesting and

has an extensive article. (pictures too)

Emilie NorCal

Reply to
Steve Peek

It's a new one on me. Are people introducing these plants into your garden? Have you checked you state's list of invasive species? I haven't but it can't hurt before risking letting something pestiferous naturalize.

Reply to
balvenieman

I agree with Steve Peek; this looks like some species of Amaranthus (and not the Xanthosoma sp. also grown as Jamaican callaloo). Identifying to particular species is probably something that requires a plant in bloom and more expertise than I have.

the Wiki link for Amaranth:

Pat Kiewicz

Thanks, I think your guess about red root pigweed is probably correct. One of the Jamaicans did mention pigweed.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

I've spent some time in Jamaica building a large sound system. We had a cook and a houseboy.

I ate a lot of a callaloo. I started off not liking it and after a month I despised it. Just the mention brings back bad memories. And that wasn't for lack of ganja.

Go to a Jamaican store and try it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies