Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

How to bore for water or find natural spring
I have no access to running water in my plot Is there a way of boring into the ground or storing water that can be used for irrigation ? Thanks Fozzy
3
3

potato peels
for the curious of what happens to potato peels when you stick them in some damp earth for a few months with plenty of other rotting veggies, fruits and worms... songbird
1
1

?? Companion Planting
what do you mean by companion planting? i have garlic growing in the middle of the alfalfa/trefoil patch and it looks to be doing just fine. i don't have a control patch in the same soil nearby so i...
13
13

Which is the best mailorder for vegetable Seeds etc
Which is the best mailorder company for ordering vegetable seeds ?
15
15

Tomato Leaf rust spots, Alternaria ?
I think I (my plants) have a case of Alternaria But my spots are more rounded. So it may be Grey Leaf spot. I'm not sure. New growth looks good, but the old (2weeks) is affected. Anyway, what is a...
1
1

radishes!
Hello, I am growing some radishes (for the first time!) but I am not sure if they have all gone a bit wrong. I am growing them in pots and they are in the garden in sun. However, they seem to be...
3
3

tomato side shoots as fetilizer??
Am I imagining this? Many years ago I think I read somewhere that the sideshoots taken from corden tomatoes could be soaked in water and made a good fertilizer to feed back to the plants Anyone know...
2
2

Question about my Corriander?
Hi folks, ive been growing corriander in my garden and using it pretty often for cooking. However weve had a lot of sun down here and ive not been using it for a month or so. I went out to take a look...
2
2

Pruning - long branches with leaves ONLY on top
Leave the fruits. Water the plants in as you say. Following that, the bell pepper needs more water than the chilli. The chilli is ok to get rather dry between waterings. For a bit of oomph, when the...
2
2

Leaf Growing ON Cucumber
Hi There, it is my 1st time growing anything and it may sound a strange questions, but I have a Mini Petita Cucumber plant growing in my greenhouse. The 2 largest cucumbers have leafs growing out of...

Is farming to blame?
We're all getting smaller and our brains are shrinking... is farming to blame? Cambridge University experts say humans are past their peak and that modern-day  people are 10 per cent smaller and...
5
5

Is my apple tree sapling dying?!
I have grown this apple tree from a seed and so far it has been healthy and growing really quickly. It sits on my window sill with plenty of light and although it is far down in the plant pot, this...
2
2

Courgettes ready to cut?
Hi folks, can anybody tell me at what length I should be cutting off my courgettes? In cm would be good thanks as Ive only tried this for the first time this year. Thanks!
11
11

Bees
I thought there was a bee crisis in the U.S. I have seen more bees in the last few weeks than I have ever seen. I am not sure what kind they are, they don't look like what I think of as a honey bee. I...
14
14

Pollinating Cucumbers
Curiously the Persian cucumbers have started developing mostly females flowers and only a few males. This morning I had 5 female flowers opening but only 2 males. So I am wondering, is it possible to...
5
5