adding a strip of concrete next to a newly poured driveway because it is not wide enough

We just had a new driveway poured. This was a project that I sorta stayed out of and let my husband drive the communication with the concrete contractor. There was a misunderstanding about a detail. Essentially we have lost about 8" in width on the upper half section of our fairly long drive. The contractor asked my husband about some plants next to the drive and if we wanted to preserve them. I said, yes, of course, but my husband took it that I wanted the driveway to be narrower to accommodate the plants. I took his question as... do we want to take plants out to widen the drive. I simply wanted the original footprint. Now we have lost 8" in width in the upper half section. The plants will grow even wider because they will like taking up the new section of dirt they now have and they will encroach even further onto our already narrow driveway. The car tires will forever be chewing up the plants because they now will be too close to our driving pattern. Ugh! I do not know how I missed the new 'jog' in the right side edge until they were actually pouring today. My husband said it was too late to change it back to the original footprint. I am so disappointed given the cost etc. There are so many things we cannot control in life but this is one we could have with better communication and understanding. Can we simply have an 8" narrow strip poured along the 15 or 20' length right along the new concrete? My husband suggested we could just put in some gravel. That will not work as plants will continue to grow through it. We have to have solid material. We have also lost important inches of concrete to step onto between the plant bed and the car. I absolutely hate the idea of taking concrete or faux stone bricks and lining them along the edge. And the jog looks stupid, in my opinion. I am hoping you will suggest we can go ahead and pour a narrow line of concrete next to the new drive. Is that possible? I will appreciate your thoughts. Thank you!

Reply to
Jean