what will cover old plastic tile in the bathroom (2023 Update)

I took off old wallpaper in the bathroom, under the wallpaper is old ugly plastic tile. I want to finish the walls with paint. What do I have to do to smooth out the walls without tearing off all the plastic tiles?

Reply to
Debbie

You aren't going to like this.

Cover them with wallpaper.

(You might be able to paint the old tiles with the correct paint, especially if you sand them to make them rougher, but the joins will show)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

To smooth out the walls without tearing off the plastic tiles, you can use a heavy-duty primer specifically designed for glossy surfaces. This will help to fill in any unevenness or roughness in the plastic tiles and provide a surface that paint can adhere to properly. After applying the primer, it's recommended to lightly sand the surface with fine-grit sandpaper to smooth it out further before applying paint. Additionally, it is important to use paint that is suitable for use in bathrooms as it will resist moisture and mildew.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor