water based paint over oil on interior door

I used the last of a tin of oil based paint to put the first coat on an interior (bathroom) door. I used quick drying for the next coat without realising this is water based (yes, I'm that crap).

Is this going to be a problem?

Cheers,

Tom.

Reply to
Tom

If it looks OK once it has dried - no. But I'm trying to imagine what you think would happen to the door that you need to know in advance. It isn't going to explode is it!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

With my diy 'skills' I wouldn't be surprised :-)

I was just worried about peeling etc.

Is there any disadvantage to using water based paint indoors on doors and radiators etc?

Cheers,

Tom.

Reply to
Tom

If its still there the next morning it should be ok.

Reply to
nick

Well - chances are your car paint is water based. If that hasn't exploded, I reckon your door will be ok. Certainly, we've done our internal doors with water-based undercoat and oil-based top. No probs so far.

Reply to
Martin

Now that's news to me. Are you saying that modern car paints can be thinned with water, or you can clean the spray gun/brush with water?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

I've no personal experience, but it sounds logical. I'm not sure how many manufacturers are using water-based for all coats - I think some started using water-based final coats, and are gradually working their way through the under- & primer- coats.

Sorry to be vague - others here are bound to know more.

Reply to
Martin

A small update - I've just been told that all the paint on the (BMW) Mini is water-based, and my mole also believes virtually all UK manufacturers are now using water based. Sorry that still doesn't answer your question about thinners and cleaning the gun... :-(

Reply to
Martin

Thanks for that. You learn something new every day.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

I've heard that too. I've also heard that it isn't as good as a paint as the old oil-based stuff, but it's far better for the environment.

I'm still going to use 2-pot on my boat though. The last lot has lasted getting on for 10 years.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ