uPVC or wood?

Most timber used in crappy windows and doors is cheap old fast grown pine, which used outdoors painted or not rots in no time. Joinery made with Douglas fir or next grade up lasts a lot longer. You get what you pay for.

ken

Reply to
ken

I'm in Bristol. We were one of the main ports for that trade.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yeah. I'm from there too. I suppose dodgy wood was somewhat more ethical than our previous biggest cargo.

Reply to
Mike

What staining/weathering issues? Cif cream cleaner keeps them looking good as new.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I always wash the one ground floor UPV window and patio doors I have with plenty of warm water and a drop of washing up liquid. And do the frames at the same time. So far, they still look like new. Paintwork done at the same time they were fitted looks like it'll need doing again this year.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'll give you an interesting comment about Jeld -Wen

I have been in the window industry all my life some 32 years as a working man. mostly as a window fitter and recenly as a service engineer.

Jeld-Wen are responsible for manufacturing the most atrocious frames i have ever encountered .

IMO PVC is fine if it is A Manufactured properly B Fitted properly

If you want a really good looking PVC frame get a look at a Decurnick window.

I have no direct link with that company and my opinion is unbiased from the point of view that i service all makes and models from Ali swing doors in schools shops and restaurants etc to more upvc Window ,Patio and Resi Door Frames than i care to mention.

Reply to
grom-it

hello

I have tried to find the Decurnick window on google but no luck......................can you point me to a web site??

thanks

Barry

Reply to
bs

In message on Sat, 16 Apr 2005, bs wrote

Check spelling and you'll find Deceuninck

Reply to
Colin Brook

Thanks Colin

but that link doesn't work.......the elusive strangely spelled windows :) not sure what the name is now

Barry

Reply to
bs

In message on Sat, 16 Apr 2005, bs wrote

Does here - I've just checked it again!

browser are you using?

Regards,

Reply to
Colin Brook

Nasty, flash-fronted site

Here's the UK national link

Hope it helps

Reply to
OG

Hi Colin just hit your link..and its says on windows internet explorer "page cannot be found...strange ?

Barry

Reply to
bs

great thanks

works a treat :)

Barry

Reply to
bs

In message on Tue, 19 Apr 2005, bs wrote

Well I've just used the link and it goes straight there!

I do agree with others that it's a pretty awful site but I wasn't judging its quality - merely giving the information that I had.

I have a conservatory with Deceuninck profile and am very pleased with it.

Regards, Colin

Reply to
Colin Brook