Tiles on top of hardboard?

I need to make good the tiling around kitchen units, but the tiles that are already on the wall are about 10mm thick and the nearest ones I can find are more like 4mm thick. Can I stick thin hardboard to the wall and then tile onto that to make the thin tiles sit at the same level as the existing ones? It's an odd question, but I vaguely recall years ago reading something about not being possible to tile onto hardboard and similar materials.

Thanks all,

V.

Reply to
Vormulac