Studwork walls

I am in the process of building an extension with two bedrooms. I've got all the studwork done for the internals walls and one side plasterboarded. What is the normally accepted 'filling' for acoustic/thermal insulation. Ie., do I put Kingspan type boards inbetween the studs or rock wall etc?

mark

Reply to
mark

Hi Mark, The norm' now'a'days is rigid fillings. I think it's due to easier installation more than anything else. Some would say that the rigid insulation is far superior to rock wool, but it's still in debate.

Mind your cabling and any plumbing work before you sheet both sides of your walls. :-)

Good luck with it.

BigWallop

Thanks. I shall use all the Kingspad off cuts etc.

Mark

Reply to
mark

Those requirements are two separate things. As an internal wall, you would want sound insulation, but wouldn't want thermal unless the two rooms were at markedly different temperatures. For the former, use mineral wool batts; they absorb some frequencies. The rigid insulation will just act like a drum and transmit them through the wall.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula