temporary house walls while extending

My rear house extension requires some temporary house walls to be constructed, since I am removing the sticking-out bit of the kitchen and the single-storey bay on the back room. There is an existing lintel across both openings, and I could be left with little rear wall to the house ! Also, I need to dig foundations "inside" the house for the area of wall that is replacing the downstairs bay. Any ideas about the logistics of this ? What type of walls/doors would be best to construct temporarily, whilst work is happening ? Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Is it not possible to build the extension 'around' the sticky-out bits, then remove them once you have a secure, water-tight shell built?

In terms of temporary house walls - I'd say that depends on lots of factors, such as how secure is the area where they'll be built (ie, directly on to a footpath in the middle of town would be different to a totally enclosed back yard in a quiet area); how long you anticipate them being needed for. You'll probably find that your house insurance will not cover you for theft related to any ongoing building work, so think about that one.

Are the temporary walls just to 'fill in the holes', ie presumably not load-bearing in any way? Stud partition-type wall maybe? You mention a door above - is that a must? If so I would think that could be a big problem, especially in terms of security (unless it becomes a fairly non-permanent wall!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

You are not likely to get many explanations or answers because no one knows what it looks like now...do you have a digital camers? Put the pics up on tinypic and it might make some sense, as it is it makes none.

Reply to
Phil L

I had hoped so. The roofs comes down to a level below the top of the bay. I could perhaps reduce the height of the bay. However I still need to build some foundation "inside" the bay, and going "though" it. Also the floor slab of the sticky out kitchen will need to be relaid as part of the new slab,

Well, the bay to be removed is actually dwarf walls and a door with single-glazed windows either side, and almost anything would be more secure that that !

I guess stud, maybe rendered on outside. The wall replacing the bay will be rather tricky. I may have to get bricklayers who can build the whole wall in a day, rather than me, the bricky tool and a few weeks !

Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Temp walls are normally constructed from some ply or sterling board sheets on a 3x2 frame. If you need a door, hang it on strap hinges and fit internal bolts. Staple some polyphene sheet to the external to rain and draught proof

For the foundations, if you need to dig the floor up, then you need to dig the floor up and its that simple.

dg

Reply to
dg

Fantastic. Simple advice about how it's usually done. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson