Building control to remove internal window in old external wall?

Hi all,

We're in the process of buying a house but we want to make some changes when we're in.

The rear of the property has a full-width lean-to currently housing washing machine and separate WC. It is (for now) single glazed.

One of the back rooms of the house (which was an exterior cavity wall before the lean-to was built) has a large double-glazed UPVC window in, looking into the lean-to.

Do I have to get planning permission or notify building control in order to remove said window and the brickwork below to form an entrance (without door) into the lean-to?

Also, the house was built somewhere between 1930-1950 so either has a wooden lintel or the brickwork is supported by the window frame.

If I find it is supported by the frame, can I just leave the frame in place for the top and sides (ensuring its well attached to the wall with frame fixings!), and cut out the lower part of the frame + bricks to make a supported opening, or do I have to get a lintel installed?

We plan to install a kitchen in the lean-to at a later date, so are there any fire requirements for the kitchen to have a door separating it from the rest of the house or is an opening OK in this situation?

Any advice gratefully received. :)

Thanks,

OddCog

Reply to
oddcog

AIUI Building Control will be required.

It probably won't be well attached to the wall with frame fixings, just transferring weight downwards. A lintel is probably the way to go - just hope it doesn't cause too much disruption. What are the walls made of?

Depending on how old and how the leanto is constructed, this might be construed as creating new habitable space, which could throw up all sorts of Building Control issues especially insulation

AIUI kitchen can be open plan is the property is one or two storeys, but not if it is 3 storey incl a loft conversion, or has a basement.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I spoke to the local building control duty officer and you're right, it would be.

Brick outside, probably brick inside too. If we're lucky it'll have lintels already (fingers crossed).

The building guy wasn't really that interested in the making-a-window- into-a-door so much as the joining of the lean-to into the living space of the property. He suggested that it'd be much like a garage conversion (since its single skinned), and would require:

- extra insulation by either building another skin or by studding and insulating

- damp proofing

- checking the foundations were adequate for the new use

OK, interesting. I forgot to ask him this but I had the feeling that it was allowed at the back of my memory somewhere. It is just two storeys.

The lean-to itself has probably already had the roof replaced in its history - the walls are a single layer of brick and the windows single- glazed, but the roof is nicely tiled and has a double-glazed window set in it (which is boarded on the inside with downlights). So hopefully the only insulation required would be the walls/door/ windows.

Our plans seem to be more complicated than we thought after discussing with building control. I would love to DIY it but don't know if it is really worth it if it requires regular inspection, vs getting someone qualified to do it (which we wouldn't be able to afford right away).

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Reply to
oddcog