Smell of Smoke

Was just round at next door's having a night of dinner and live music. Came out to see another couple to their car and grab some fresh air, opened my own door and then spotted smoke coming out of a car parked about 50yds away. Did a double take.. Phoned fire brigade. Went back onto street to wave down any traffic coming up from other end of road, wait for fire truck and to be generally nosy.

Not with a bang, nor with a whimper. It went Kerfooooom !!!

Twenty foot high flames but generally a fireball about ten feet across, It had taken a good hold before the fire boys arrived, and then the car alarm went off. A useful device, obviously.

Five minutes into fireball, the alarm died and the smell of burning came down the street like a wave. Yukk. Fire brigade arrived to squirt the blazing wreck. Fire goes out, obediently.

And then I realized I'd left my house door open.

Came back in, whole house stunk of burning rubber and plastic. Thin smoke everywhere.

Fans on full, doors open wide again. It seems to have cleared.

Odd thing was no other neighbours looked out. When we had the SWAT team in for the siege across the road early this year, EVERY person in the street was sat on their front wall or handing out cups of tea and bikkies to everybody else. A real street party.

But tonight? No community spirit You'd think there's be a better turn out for a bonfire.

Reply to
Bored Borg

It is an intruder alarm not a smoke alarm:-)

What a bunch of misereable sods. I would gone out for a bloody good look.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth