Routing

I have just purchased a Router (a fairly good one) and have two projects I want to start which would require the use of the Router. Can anyone suggest a decent book that would teach me the Routing basics and perhaps some slightly more advanced techniques. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
~Brian~

These might not be what you're looking for but do contain some good information.

Also subcribe to the newsgroup (rec.woodworking) this is an american based newsgroup but one where you will find a mine of guidance on routing,ask them to guide you to some basic routing sites.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

=========================== A very basic guide here:

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 1106 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

There are a series of time-life books, including "advanced routing" that are quite good for ideas and there is a readers digest one, "woodworking with a router", IIRC - that is pretty good.

Try reserving and getting them from the local library and just photocopying the few pages that you want to keep for reference - mostly ideas for jigs. The rest is pretty much common sense and you only need to read it once.

Jigs are, IMHO, the key - including a router table. A router will chew its way through most things, very quickly, if it and the workpiece aren't kept very much under control and limited in their degrees of freedom.

You will probably want to look at getting a dovetail jig for it. Whilst hand-cut joints are the most satisfying, they don't quite compare for speed with a router and a jig..

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Reply to
~Brian~

Try your local library. Mine has at least 2 or 3 books on routing and woodworking power tools which never seem to be borrowed by anyone but me. That way you can find an author whose style you like or makes things more easily understandable. Speaking as a routing numpty, someone who explains things well is important to me.

Reply to
Malc

Going to have a browse round the library tomorrow, thanks.

Reply to
~Brian~