resin water softener-enclosed heating system?

I intend to fit a resin ion exchange type water softener into my water supply which will leave a residue of salt ions in the water. I have no problems with my hot and cold water system, the advantages are clear to see there, and I know about the need for a 3rd tap in the kitchen for drinking water. My question relates to my heating system, which is an enclosed type with header tank and traditional copper heating cylinder and old Vulcan free standing boiler with cast iron heat exchanger, and radiators. I can't make my mind up if there are overall benefits in installing the softener such that it fills the header tank with soft water too. The trace sodium levels may accelerate corrosion in the radiators and boiler, however does the corrosion inhibitor does as it says with all types of feed water, whether this be trace sodium levels or not?... I see the benefits in not having scale forming salts building up in the radiators, pipework and boiler, where kettling has not yet been a problem, but if I upgrade to wall hung boiler may become a problem. Any arguments both for and against please...and moreover anyone with experience of doing this having negative effects?

Reply to
biggirlsblouse

Paul Saunders