Cylinder Thermostat

Hi folks,

I want to fit a cylinder stat to my hot water cylinder as for some reason it doesn't have one, but the cylinder is coated in a sort of foam insulation. Presumably the thermostat would need to make direct contact with the cylinder metalwork. Is it just a case of cutting/piercing through the insulation?

Thanks fir any help. J.

Reply to
scuzzle

...but be very careful. The copper underneath can be unbelievably thin.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

He's right. I'm told it can be as little as 0.2mm

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I meant to add I was told that by someone who accidentally cut one open with a stanley knife :-))

Reply to
shazzbat

Reply to
Paul Saunders

Thanks for all the info folks. I could probably cut into the insulation with something blunt made of plastic to save having a DIY disaster of the worst kind!

I imagine there will be some instructions with the thermostat when I buy it indicating the best positioning for it. From what I can remember they are usually positioned about half way up the cylinder.

J.

Reply to
scuzzle

In article , scuzzle writes

Usually about third of the way up, higher & the tank is half empty before the stat realises it needs a top-up, lower and the boiler is cycling every time you fill a sink.

I cut the surface of the insulation with a stanley knife then scooped out the foam with something blunt. Probably not necessary but I put some copper based thermal grease on the back of the stat capsule to get a good contact with the cylinder and cut a little groove in the insulation near the stat to let the expanding wire fixing strap push it right onto the surface.

Reply to
fred

Thanks for the info Fred.

J.