Repairing Ring Main

My son decided he would do a spot of DIY and managed to drill through the ring main cable using the hammer action on my Kango drill ... what was going through his head at the time (apart from 240 volts) I still don't know ... however ... he's ok but the feed and return cable are both chopped. What's the best and safest way of reconnecting these two wires? I know I'll need to chisel the plaster out around the cable but how do I extend and join the cables back together?

Ash

Reply to
Ash

A rofessional would probably crimp connections, but simpler for you would be to connect using terminal block strip inside something like a choc box..as seen on Dragon's den!! ie

Gel

That is not allowed if the joint is going to be plastered over.

Ash,

Have a look at

I do not think that there is anything on that page that I could add to. Even if you have to spend £20 on a crimping tool you are still better off than calling an electrician out.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks Adam ...excellent guide you've found there

Adam

Reply to
Ash

Like you, my son did the same several years ago, fortunately I managed to pull through enough cable to fit a socket outlet at the point. This is worth considering.

Reply to
Stewart

Seconded - thanks for that.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

Presumably because they are then 'not available for inspection'? Is that why?

Excellent article. You do need to spend the money on a decent ratchet crimper though, as you say £20. The cheaper ones don't cut the mustard.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes. Also screw terminals can become loose over time. Although I have worked on many 50 year old installations where the screw terminals are fine!

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth