Splitting a 32a ring main into two.

Currently have a rather large ring main for entire house.

I want to split this into two ring mains as I am having a new cu with extra spare ways.

I have located two appropriate lengths of cable running between two sets of adjacent sockets. Can I pull out one end of each cable and join them using a junction box to make the large existing ring become smaller. This would leave me to run two lots of cables from the cu to the two double sockets th at the two old cables have been pulled out from, thus creating a new ring m ain of the remainder of the now disconnected part of the old ring main?

Is it ok from a wiring regs point of view to have a junction box on a cable running between two adjacent sockets on a ring main?

Regards,

hansonlink

I'm confused. If you can pull out the cable between two sockets, you don't need JBs. Simply run a new cable into the socket and back to the CU. Same for the other. If the cable between the two sockets is plastered into the wall, but accessible say under the floor, then you could cut it and extend both ends to the CU using two JBs under the floor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ok..... Basically the current ring main runs through two downstairs and two upstairs bedrooms.

The ring zig zags up and down the walls so the upstairs and downstairs sockets take alternating positions.

The two new rings would take two rooms each. One would be the lounge and master bedroom. The other is dining room and rear bedroom.

A piece of cable runs between one particular lounge socket and one dining room socket. And the other cable is between a different lounge and different dining socket.

If I pull them out of the two dining room sockets and join them with one jb, that makes. A smaller ring main. I woul then run new cable from the two dining room sockets back to the cuto form the second ring.

The lounge plaster is new but the dining room plaster is due to be replastered....

Reply to
hansonlink

adjacent sockets. Can I pull out one end of each cable and join them using a junction box to make the large existing ring become smaller. This would leave me to run two lots of cables from the cu to the two double sockets that the two old cables have been pulled out from, thus creating a new ring main of the remainder of the now disconnected part of the old ring main?

running between two adjacent sockets on a ring main?

Yes - provided that the junction box is "accessible" for testing, servicing and inspection.

If you were to use crimped, soldered or other permanent joints there would be no need for "accessibility", although it would perhaps still be desirable.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In principle there is nothing stopping you splitting a ring into two or more smaller ones.

You can join cables with JBs if you wish, although it they are the normal screw terminal type, then the joints need to remain accessible for future inspection and testing etc.

If you wish to make a maintenance free joint that you can lose in the building fabric, then either use a JB specifically designed for the purpose, or use soldering / crimping etc to make the joint.

Reply to
John Rumm