Clear saucepan lids

Hi All - I hope someone can help with this: We have a number of clear glass saucepan lids that have become 'smoked glass' over the years. This is probably due to constant washing in a dishwasher. Has anyone any advice on how the lids can be restored to their original clear state?

Thanks - Dave

Reply to
Dasco

Probably not an easy question to answer but do you know if the 'smoked glass' effect is just on the outer surface of the glass or has the glass 'smoked' internally? If it's just the outer surface you may be able to 'T' cut it ... if it's internal I don't think you can do anything to restore them to their original clear state.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

It may be something like limescale. If so, try limescale remover.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

I suspect that this is permanent damage caused by the aggressive washing action in the dishwasher. Go green and get the washing up bowl into use again!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Sounds odd, our glass saucepan lids have been cleaned in the dishwasher all their long life and are showing no signs of becoming "smoked". Do your drinking glasses suffer from the same?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

No. I've seen similar on some glasses of ours, but not for some time. The effect is of a light whispy fog. I think that modern dishwasher tablets have some kind of addative to prevent it.

Reply to
On Web

Using a dishwasher IS being green !!

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Rinse Aid is made to prevent this, it is introduced to the final rinse to stop the film forming.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

I've seen mist from no rinse aid (a light scale) and mist from the glass dissolving slightly. There's no cure for the latter.

Well, I suppose you could try re-firing them...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I beg to differ but everyone to their own opinion.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

My wife uses loads more HOT water when hand washing, so I think a dishwasher is greener.

Reply to
Chewbacca

One bowlfull does the whole job for me. I start washing when the bowl is less than half full and rinse under a very slow running hot tap into the bowl. By the time it is full I've finished. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Our dishwasher uses 11 litres of water (approx) per wash. Our washing up bowl holds 15 litres (approx)* so I save at least 4 litres per wash up because sometimes the water would need to be changed due to it being dirty, so I save even more.

  • I worked this out by measuring the bowl so no water has been wasted in this experiment!!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

I would say a full dishwasher is greener than hand washing.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Were any animals harmed during this experiment?

One thing that hasn't been mentioned! what about cost of heating the water? I assume a dishwasher is like a washing machine - cold water in and heated in the machine, whereas the washing bowl has it 'on tap' - literally! - straight from your cylinder.

Oh, and a further thing..... what about the tabs you put in there are they as 'green' as Fairy?

And... it could be argued that washing up in the traditional fashion, burns up a few calories so are you turning in to a couch potatoe with all this lazy spare time you're saving? are you going to end up costing the NHS heaps due to your lolling around life-style just sitting there waiting for the dish washer cycle to finish?

Are you hands as clean as someone who has had them soaked in Fairy liquid for 20mins? killing all bacteria, pig flu, plague and limes disease on them?

Has your dishwasher really got into the groove of your forks after doling out the dog food and leaving the residue on the fork to harden for days while you wait to fill the machine - with all that bacteria growing away in the warm dampness of your dishwasher, just waiting to burst out at you every time you open the door - it's on your hands, you've breathed it it - you're gonna die!!!!!!

Me? I just empty the bowl, give it a swill and wipe my hands

Reply to
Ron O'Brien

It appears that only the amount of water used has been taken into your calculations.

What about the electricity used to operate the machine? Also the fuels used in manufacturing and distributing it, and the materials used in its construction, and the disposal effects when it reaches the end of its usability? What proportion of its components can *and will* be reused/recycled and how much will end up in landfills, and of those are any toxic should they leach into the environment - air or water - as in time they surely must.

A L P

Reply to
A _L_ P

No definately not!!

But in order to get a full bowl of hot water I need to let at least one bowl full go down the drain so I now realise I am saving even more water!!

Mine are blue and white and my 'Fairy' is yellow

But what about all that bending and lifting in loading and unloading the dishwaher, more carolies burnt surely!!

I have very dry skin so I wear 'Marigolds', therefore that argument doesn't hold in my case!

I don't have a dog

Machine is filled and put on daily, it is only a slimline model and we have two young boys.

Oh well, never mind!!

John

Reply to
John

Not so,

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Of course, the logical conclusion to being green is that you don't have a washing machine,either?

Reply to
On Web

There are two completely unrelated effects.

Hard water scale left on the surface. This might be due to no rinse aid and/or water softener not working (no salt, or controls broken).

Leaching into the glass. This is due to washing high lead content glass in a dishwasher. The alkline detergent will leach into the glass. Tends to happen with lead crystal and other expensive (high lead content) glass, and I'd be surprised if glass pan lids would suffer from this.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel