Re: Lead pipes

We dug a channel up the front garden and side path to the back of the house (all 115ft 3days and lots of mud later) only to find out when chatting to the guys who turned up to connect to main supply they could do a "foreigner" using a mole for £50. so ask the blokes on the street before you start any digging.....

"Colin T >"

>> > Does anyone know is there a problem with lead in water from lead >>> > pipes, >> also >>> > an approximate cost of replacing about 30ft. in plastic? >>> > >>> > Thanks >>> > Colin >>> > >>> > >>> If its an old lead pipe. I was told by the water board that it would >>> have been coated with a layer. And the only thing to do is in the >>> morning run the water for a while. >>> >>> James >> >> I'm in the process of having my lead pipe replaced. Water companies run >> lead >> pipe replacement schemes. You dig out a deep channel and lay your new >> plastic pipe up to the boundary of your property according to their spec >> and >> prepare for fixings inside, man comes out to inspect and then they >> complete >> the work from the boundary of your property to the main supply. They >> don't >> charge for their part of the work. >> >> Apparently it isn't a *major* risk to health, although if you have kids >> it >> might be a larger concern. I'm doing it because I'm having some other >> work >> done and the opportunity is there - and because the water tastes weird >> compared to my last home. >> >> Thanks for the info, I'll phone the water board and ask if they do same >> as your supplier. > > Thanks > Colin > >
Reply to
Rivermersey