Pump suitable for clearing large puddle?

Hi,

We had a problem outside the back of our house with one of those "super-weeds" that lifted the concrete on the public footpath/car park. As a result, rainwater etc doesn't flow towards the drain, it just pools outside ours and our neighbours back gate which is our access to our cars. The water has a depth of around 2-3 inches (and covers around 5m squared), is there anything that will pump this away completely? I want to crack on using the jet washer on the garden furniture/patio but this just causes a pool. I've seen pumps that work down to 5mm, but I was wondering if there was anything that would clear dirty water right down to (almost) ground level. The actual main drain is around 5 metres away, and the pump only needs to pump the water to a height of about 1 inch above the top of the "pool" to reach this.

Anyone have a good solution?

Reply to
mentalguy2004

I would be inclined to find the lowest point and bash a small hole in it. You can then put the suction hose in the hole.

This is not a perfect solution, but the perfect solution would be to redo the job with a fall running to the drain.

Reply to
john

That's a fantastic idea! The simplest ones are the best... I could kick myself sometimes.

Sounds perfect to me! Thanks a lot. Much easier than trying to get someone (ie the local council) to admit ownership of the land and actually fix it. Thanks again.

Reply to
mentalguy2004

My usual solution when the cellar floods is to remove all I can with a standard submersible pump, then remove the rest with the wet and dry vacuum. That will take all the remaining surface water off.

You can get different models of submersible pump - some of which can remove more than the others, but be very careful not to wreck the seals by running it dry other than very briefly.

A sump to put the pump in is the standard solution. Doesn't need to be very deep. However if there is a spot with a natural barrier at the back, put the pump there and use a broom to push the water towards it. With a bit of practice the water around the pump can be kept in place by timing the brush movements.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

If you are going to do that you may as well make a permanent soakaway and fit a cover. Likely for less than the cost of a pump - plus it is 'fit and forget' (apart from the odd cleanout of crud).

You will find out who thinks they own the land about five minutes after you smash a hole in what they consider theirs.

Mel.

Reply to
Astral Voyager