Primer / Undercoat ?

I have for the past few days been sanding down the stair banister and rails. All nice and smooth, we decided to pain them so off I pop to the shed and found a part tin of primer, got half way through the job and ran out of primer. Went to B & Q and came back with some undercoat, not knowing there is a difference I carried on where I left off.

Anyhooo the misses has just pointed out that there is a difference and I should have used primer first. Will I have so strip it back to bare wood or can I just gloss over it once I have waited the recommended 16 hours wait to let it dry.

Thanks for your help

Andre

Reply to
Andre

The problem with water based primers or emulsion is that thet can raise the grain of wood, leading to more rubbing down. Most oil based primers are meant to be thinned down and applied thin, you just need that sealing action, so applying it thick is a waste of paint. I will also stick my neck out and say that internally, using undercoat won't do any harm and you can see if it has sealed alright by trying to scrape a bit of when it has fully dried. If you can scrape some off, then it means it has'nt sealed very well and you then take a chance that it will stay on. But in reality, with all the other coats going on top you should be okay.

ken

Reply to
Ken

Thank you both for your reply, it has been helpful.

regards

Andre

Reply to
Andre