'NoMow' artificial lawn

I'm in the process of completing a major rear garden make-over - the main aim being to make the garden as maintenance free as possible (because I

*hate* gardening!).

I sent off for information on 'NoMow' artificial lawns recently and, because their head office is not far from where I live, their sales manager came around with a display pack. It looks very real and, although not cheap (just under £20 per square metre all-in), would mean no more mowing, weeding, or watering, for 10 - 15 years. It's a lot easier to put down than proper turf (just like putting down a carpet actually!) -and there are no worries about the turf not 'taking' and dying off.

I've more or less decided to go ahead and order some but: anyone used this stuff and have any comments about it before I do so?

Kev

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!

No personal experience but sounds like an excellent idea to me, especially if combined with artificial flower beds, plants and trees! A similar artificial grass, Astro Turf, was featured on our local TV news recently (Kent) and the householders were singing its praises. The only possible drawback I can think of is if you wanted to sell your house a very keen gardener might be put off buying.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Football clubs use it for their pratice pitchs and being plastic they readly catch fire. So no charcoal bar-b-ques.

Reply to
zaax

Should be OK if you have a patio.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Even an untended garden gone completely wild would be a much better option.

Reply to
Stickems.

I will watch this thread with interest as I am thinking of putting something like this on my flat roof. It would look a lot better than the bare black stuff but would drainage be a problem and how would it be fixed ? The local Council will not allow me to use the roof as a terrace so it would be done purely for the looks.

Phian

Reply to
Phian

A fair point - although all the new buyer would have to do is remove the artificial grass 'carpet' and lay proper turf on the exposed earth.

Kev

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!

I've got a decent sized patio and that's where I do the BBQ'ing so no problem there. The fire aspect had never occurred to me however! I'd better hang onto any 'off-cuts' for patching just in case!

Kev

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!

Not in my opinion! I like a nice attractive garden - just haven't got the time to waste mowing and weeding and watering!

Kev

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!

I will come back and start an additional thread after I have laid the lawn and 'tried it out' for a week or so!

Kev

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!

Remember that a weed is just a flower that's in the wrong place...

Reply to
ricardianno