Lavatory cistern

My cistern is only emptying of water on flush about half way, resulting in a very short flush. It is filling up to it's normal level and not leaking. Googling comes up with the suction washer as a probable culprit. Is this an easy/inexpensive job. The reason I ask is that this is a Housing Association property, but I live alone and am out at work all day, and it is a pain waiting for contractors to call, not counting the lost wages. If it is a DIY I will do it myself.

Thanks Bill

Reply to
Bill

Are you sure that it isn't a "water saving mechanism"?

If you hold the lever down or keep pulling the chain, do you get a full flush?

With some, it is a user-setting to enable or disable water saving. Typically, they let air in after the water has fallen half way, rather than when the tank is almost empty.

I don't think it is the suction washer - that would stop it flushing at all. Once it starts flushing, the syphon effect takes over and the suction washer plays no further part.

So look for some way that air gets in when the level falls half way.

IANA plumber...this is just how I remember them working - I don't have toilets with this feature in my present house, they are too old..

Reply to
Palindr☻me

The max flush allowed nowadays is 6 litres. Many cistern designs are still for more than that, and the syphon has an inlet to stop the flush before the cistern empties, to limit flush to 6 litres. Try refilling the cistern using a measuring jug up to the normal level, and see how much water it takes. If it's 6 litres, then there's nothing wrong with it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Guess I had better get on the phone on Monday!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Palindr?me was spot on. I found a small plastic plug in the bottom of the cistern and eventually found a matching hole in the works. Refitted the plug and hooray, I am back to a normal flush.

Thanks Bill

Reply to
Bill

No more floaters then.