Lagging/Insulating hot and cold pipes in garage

Hi,

In my garage (unheated) I have a new condensing combi boiler, and as a result, there are a whole load of 15 and 22mm water pipes (I think that's their size) along the walls. There are also pipes for the washing machine in there, and a sink. Lots of metal! I'd guess 10 to 15 metres in total!!!!!

None of these are insulated in any way, and I'd like to do this for economy and prevent frozen bursts.

Which ones are more important to do, hot or cold?; or, should I just put insulation on every bit of pipe. I was planning to do it with the thick blown foam tubes avilable in B&Q. Dead easy to cut to size.

Any tips?

Reply to
Simon Mc

I'd do the lot. Hot to save energy, cold to save bursts. The only thing I'd be wary of is lagging a stagnant cold pipe in an unheated space - if it stays cold for long enough it might still freeze.

Perhaps paneling over the whole lot and stuffing it with glasswool.

Reply to
Roland Butter

My boss has had yet another boiler fitted (under warranty scheme, 3rd boiler in 7 years) after once again the condensing boiler condensate pipe has frozen causing the boiler to fill up and spill into the electronics. Only occurs during long cold spells and wind in right direction. Boiler in an outhouse.

Reply to
Ian_m

Seems common round here. The design of the houses means that the retrofitted condensing boilers are sited a long way from the outside wall with a flue up to the roof. Several neighbours have had their freeze up last week.

I'm delaying replacing my boiler for now!

Reply to
Roland Butter

My bosses boiler was replaced with a "normal" boiler last month despite the original in 1999 being a condensing as someone finally decided that this was not a suitable place for a condensing boiler and it would cost far too much (for the warranty company) to move. So far this year, unlike the last 7 years where he has had to call someone out, he has not suffered any boiler problems despite the very cold weather.

Reply to
Ian_m