Kitchen worktop joint

I've finally decided to risk the wrath of the Mrs and try to do this myself. Any tips on the jig? The only problem I can see is that I have to join the end of a 600mm top to the side of a 670mm breakfast bar. None of the jigs I've seen mention

670mm. Does that matter if it's going on the side? Thanks Dave
Reply to
David Carter

No it doesn't make a difference. You set the jig to the width of the worktop you are using i.e. the 600 and then this allows you to make a

600mm female cut in the side of the breakfast bar. If you have a Trend jig there's a manual that has it all in easy steps.
Reply to
fnkysknky

Thanks for that. Another question which I should have asked on the first post:

Are the MDF jigs ok for a one off use? Thanks

Reply to
David Carter

Yes - my Silverline (about £40) has done at least 8 joints and apart from damage I inflicted when not concentrating (not sensible when using a router!!) is not showing signs of wear.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Never used one but can't see why not as long as you take care not to damage it. Do you have a 1/2" router then or do you intend to hire one? Might be best hiring the pack from HSS - includes router, Trend jig, instructions and video (dunno if it includes clamps) - you just need the cutter, some worktop bolts, glue and jointing compund then.

Reply to
fnkysknky

Ever thought of paying a professional?

Doing mitre joints is a bit like riding a bike, most people can do it but it takes a while to stop falling off!

Reply to
kitchenman

I've done it but used an old worktop to practice on. Make sure that the cutter is sharp. After a couple of goes it gets blunt and chips the laminate.

Reply to
da

Good advice

Don't cut all the way through the top with the router, just score the surface about 2mm deep then cut down the centre with a jig saw, this saves wear & tear on the cutter, I get at least 3 joints to a cutter before I get it sharpened.

Cut a max depth of 10mm to reduce the load on the motor of the router

Have a look at my site to see how it should look after it is finished

Reply to
kitchenman