Worktop joint

First world problems...

I'm mildly disappointed with a worktop joint.

Had it supplied mitred and used the colourfill that came with. I think the colourfill might have been the issue as I faffed about trying to get it level while tightening the clamps which were a PIA from an access POV and I think I reached a point where it wasn't fully squishable.

Anyway, it's done and it's not coming apart! Are the seamless joints in the showroom a pipe dream or am I rightly disappointed?

Reply to
R D S

looks like a lighter shade of the colourfill might have helped it blend in, depends how close you get to perfect with the joint itself whether or not filler is required, or is difficult to apply.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, it came with black. But I had hoped to get the worktops butted right up together. I just hope it's adequately sealed.

Reply to
R D S

The seamless joints in the showroom are most likely clamped up in a jig by people who aren't doing one-offs. They probably flog off their less than perfect efforts as special offers.

Joints whether good or bad are always more obvious in light materials than in dark.

So that's a first time one-off without special equipment in a light material. Given which, the result doesn't actually look that bad to me.

As in all things time is a great healer, and you probably won't even notice it after a couple of weeks.

Whether that also goes for the management, is of course another matter.

michael adams

michael adams

If the colour of the filler was lighter the join would have been a lot less noticeable.

Reply to
alan_m

original then filler modified to be a lighter grey (possibly the join line in the modified image id a lot wider than in the original.

Reply to
alan_m

Indeed. If only, like you, he could have simply joined the two halves with a mouse on a computer screen, then maybe things could have worked out so much better.

Talk about pissing on someone's chips.

michael adams

michael adams

FFS! Get a life!

Reply to
Andy Bennet

It's a difficult thing to do. I would say that was a very good join.

TW

Reply to
TimW

I agree. Also, bear in mind that we will very often be viewing at an angle rather than directly down, I'd be happy with that. At least as good as many I have seen that were done "professionally".

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

She's overjoyed i've finally got around to bolting it together rather than barking about keeping it dry for weeks!

Reply to
R D S

Yeah, I was wondering how I was going to change the file format of the kitchen so I could open it in GIMP.

As I said in the OP though, i'm only mildly disappointed, overall the kitchen is effing beautiful.

Reply to
R D S

The irony!

Reply to
R D S

Cheers chaps. I cropped out the chip I knocked in it when I removed and replaced to run a cable :) (It was cut a bit too precisely to size....

DIY eh, full of ups and down.

Reply to
R D S

I agree with the sentiment, as you've done a really good job and should be pleased with yourself. It's easy to be self-critical as a DIY-er and assume that a professional would have done it better.

Reply to
GB