Hotpoint washer dryer tripping RCD

As above, on a boil wash the machine is tripping the RCD in the main CU which shuts down the whole house. It's been fine for boil washes before, and there's nothing else drawing current from the same circuit, so......

I'm assuming it's caused by the machine heating the water (it's only cold feed), my question is, is this problem most likely caused by the heating element and is it a DIY job to replace, or should I call an engineer? I don't want to fiddle with it if the problem is likely to be a safety issue. And of course, it's out of warranty... Why do these things always happen at weekends?

It's full at the moment, and there's no way of cancelling the wash unless you power it on and hold the "cancel" button for a few seconds, so we're a bit stuck.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

I'd have thought if it was the heater, it wouldn't just show up on a boil wash. i.e. the heater probably isn't running any hotter - it probably just heats the water for longer.

It's worth opening the machine up (with the mains off) and having a check around. I had a washer that tripped the RCD due to water working its way from around the powder draw along to some electrical connectors for the control module. This was an older Hotpoint Aquarius.

Midge

Reply to
Midge

I may have misled you there, I meant that the machine has always done all washes (including boil washes) fine, but Missus put it on a boil wash yesterday and this happened. Unfortunately it's impossible to now "cancel" that wash to try a different type of wash.

I will try this, thanks for the advice. I'll see if there's anything obvious, otherwise I think it's time for an engineer...

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8